Viking Star Cruise Review

Trip to Cuba

Viking Star Cruise Review by marykay877

• Sail Date: Jan 2019
  • Destination: Cuba

I chose this cruise because I wanted to visit Cuba. I had done Viking River Cruises before, and wanted to try the Ocean ship. Also, they were running a special where we got an upgraded cabin for same price as a lower-grade cabin. The food was great. The cabin was comfortable. I loved that they filled our tiny refrigerator with soft drinks of our choice each day. The service was wonderful. For meals, we especially liked the restaurant and the afternoon tea. We tried each speciality restaurant once -- and greatly enjoyed the Chef's Table. We tried the other eating places at least once, but kept returned to the main restaurant since the service was so good. The tours used brand new buses (made in China) and had Cuban guides, who were very informative about life in Cuba and its history. We went on one excursion each day that they were available, and saw four different areas of Cuba. The lectures on the ship had experts on Cuba who provided a slightly different view on interpreting the history. The bus rides were fairly long (especially the one to Havana), but did provide an opportunity to see a lot of the countryside. The ship is so spacious that it never felt crowded (except when we were all organizing to go on our excursions). The variety of cultural experiences in Cuba was good. Unfortunately, Americans can no longer go to Cuba via cruise ship. I enjoyed the Viking experience so much that I have booked another cruise for early 2020.

marykay877's Full Rating Summary

Cienfuegos

Took three excursions from this port. Trinidad, Havana, and Cienfuegos itself. There was a fee for the first two, but the third one was included by Viking. All were interesting. Trinidad had a lot of walking on uncomfortable cobblestones, but included a nice dinner at sunset. Havana trip was mostly spent on the bus getting there and back, but getting to Havana at all was the highlight of the cruise.

City Tour

Interesting history of the revolution.

View All 40 City Tour Reviews