3. Norwegian Breakaway
We are avid NCL cruisers but this cruise left me feeling a bit disappointed. I realize the cruise line can't do anything about the weather or medical emergencies but the lack of communication from the captain or any staff left me pretty disappointed. We took our close friends, their 2nd cruise, and I just felt so bad for them. They will probably never cruise again. I don't think we'll ever cruise in September again, but that's not NCL's fault. This was our 2nd cruise this year on the Breakaway. Embark/Debark: we're platinum members so embarkation was quick for us - took about 15 minutes to go from arriving at the port to walking onto the ship. This port seemed to be more organized than some ports we've been to. Debarking was another story completely!! I wasn't totally surprised though due to the lack of communication throughout the cruise. What a disorganized mess. We were given colored/numbered tags with our debark group number and told to be on 7 at 8:15am. Instead of debarking by color in organized groups (which is the method we normally encounter), we were all herded into one long line. Let us never do that again, please!!! Let's work on that NCL. Cabin: we were on the 5th floor, right where we wanted to be. We had an oceanview cabin, forward. The room was adequate for the week, a little more room around the bed would have been nice but I'm not complaining. The bathroom smelled of urine from the time we got on the ship and never did go away. Pretty gross. Our friends said their shower leaked water at the bottom of the door but ours didn't. The shower was great!!!! Staff: outside of the one female drink waitress in the Atrium, absolutely everyone was friendly and very helpful. These people work so hard to make your vacation the best it can be. We talked to Clay one night, just ran into him on the stairs, and I really like that guy. All of the bartenders were pleasant, even while they were extremely busy. And the restaurant staff - big kudos to all of you. So nice and genuinely concerned that your experience was A+. Our room steward William was really on his game. We are extremely organized and keep our room very tidy and William was quick to work on our room every morning and every evening. Restaurants: we ate at Ocean Blue, Moderno's, Cagney's, Savor, Margaritaville, O'Sheehan's, and the buffet. We didn't have a bad meal anywhere. Loved that Moderno's opened in the morning for a breakfast buffet. If you like seafood, please go to Ocean Blue - the clam chowder is fabulous. I personally would like to see a few more food choices on the O'Sheehan's menu. And maybe a mexican restaurant?? If your thing is biscuits and gravy like mama used to make, don't go to Savor - it's not anything like mama's. Entertainment: we went to the Velvet dinner show, Joseph Reohm magic, one of the comedy shows, and a few events in the Atrium. Velvet was okay, but just okay. The magic show (which we've seen before) was good, and we didn't care for the comedian. The events in the Atrium were always packed and you were hard pressed to find a seat. The mix of trivia games and Deal or No Deal and musicians was good. I'm not big on the casinos on any ship. I will say that people were winning throughout the cruise. And the cigarette smoke - say it with me NCL: ventilation. Mandara Spa: ahhh, the best part of the ship - the spa. We always get the spa package and use it daily. It's always clean and tidy. I would like to see the water in the thermal spa be just a little warmer but it was doable. The locker room was always clean and well stocked with towels and robes. Ports: we were supposed to go to Puerto Rico, St Thomas, Tortola, and Nassau. We arrived in Puerto Rico at 4pm and everything except the bars was closed. The next morning we woke up to still being in PR and there was no communication from the captain as to why. We later found out that St Thomas was getting hit with rain so we weren't going to that port. We stayed that day in PR. We did go to Tortola, went to the beach. We personally weren't impressed with Tortola. We were scheduled to go to Nassau the next day and woke up to being at sea without any word from the captain about why we weren't in Nassau. We later found out that there was a medical emergency and the boat had to be turned around back to PR and there wouldn't be time to head to Nassau. Yep - pretty disappointed, really. Overall, this one experience won't prevent us from cruising because we know this isn't our typical experience but this cruise will definitely go to the bottom of the list and be our least favorite cruise. We probably won't cruise the Carribean in September in the future. This isn't NCL's fault by any means, they can't control the weather.

Missed ports and no communication

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by welive2cruise

• Sail Date: September 2019
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Oceanview Stateroom with Large Picture Window

welive2cruise’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Mid-Ship Oceanview Stateroom with Large Picture Window
Cabin OB 5732
Good storage for a room that size and everything seemed to be in good condition. The shower was very nice. The bathroom smelled of urine the entire time.
Deck 5 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins