3. Norwegian Breakaway
We chose this cruise because all of the extras that Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL) were throwing in if we booked by a certain time. Here is the good..... The food on board was excellent and so was the entertainment. We liked the "free style dining" theme on the boat. The phone app that we downloaded was excellent as well. Even though Margaritaville had a $15 up charge it was still a good value especially if you ordered any alcoholic drinks. The food there was also very good. Here is the bad..... The service was spotty. If you are going to charge $15/day per passenger for service then the service staff needs to be excellent. Most of the servers in the dining rooms would only come by if they absolutely had too (like deliver meals). They seldom would check up on you. The same goes for the bartenders. If NCL is going to add a 20% gratuity on every alcoholic drink served then the bartenders need to be the best there is. Instead the bartenders were slow and it took a long time to get drinks. I know a number of bartenders personally plus I was in the restaurant business for 11 years so I know what to expect from a good bartender. Most of these individuals were not even close to being good. There was a lot dead time between events. The TV selection was limited and it would skip around to different shows such that you never saw a complete one. So at times we got bored. Here is the ugly..... The broadband/internet on that ship sucks. I got screwed out of my free 250 minutes because I was not able to logout when I wanted to (I did complain and some of my minutes back though). The desktop computers in the Atrium are slower than death and are almost worthless. The touchscreens on the wall were problematic in that they did not always work well. We got screwed out of going to Saint Thomas because the Captain made a bad call as to how to deal with TS Karen. It was obvious to me that NCL nor the Breakaway leadership knew much about Meteorology. The Captain's bad call left us stuck at San Juan for two days. San Juan had a very limited number of excursions to begin with (and were very expensive too) as opposed to Saint Thomas. When we got there most of the stores were closed because of TS Karen. They were open the next day but there was nothing else to do but go shopping because NCL did not have a contingency plan for us. In fact one of the things NCL needs to work on is having contingency plans when the weather goes South. You can read about how poorly NCL handled Hurricane Dorian on this site and at other travel websites. Tortola was nice but like San Juan there was not much to do. Even the comedians onboard ripped on NCL for having Tortola as a stop. We never made it to Nassau because of a medical emergency on the ship. That is not NCL's fault though. They did try and make up for it by giving us $100 onboard credit and 20% off our next NCL cruise which we most likely will not use due to our experience on the ship.

Probably won't cruise on Norwegian again.

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by csp2019

Ages 13 to 15
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BA 11768
The cabin was always clean and a decent size for the three of us. The balcony was much smaller then the ones we have had in the past. Much smaller.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins