3. Pride of America
1. The cabin had a bilge/sewage odor. While the steward tried to spray to mask the odor, it never went away. So we had to sleep with the sliding door open which made the cabin hot and humid and left us drained and tired during the day. We should not have had to stay in the cabin under those conditions but we were told that ship was full. 2. To escape the odor in the cabin I went to the the library. A couple came in and the wife told me, "don't stay in here too long, it smells like sewer..." Another person I met on the pool deck told be about similar smells that they had noticed. They asked me for my impression of the boat and when I was done, telling them about the age of the ship and the food and the smells, the grandson said to the grandmother, "That's the same thing that you and grandpa were saying last night..." When we were on an excursion, we befriended a couple that has a time share on the island and they told us about an old, ship that they did not recommend, that they were on years ago. I asked if it was NCL Pride of America, and they said, "Yes...". 3. Certain food items in the Skyline restaurant were AWFUL. Awful to the point that you had to go out of your way to make food so bad. Awful to the point that Chef Ramsey would have FIRED staff on the spot, and I am usually very easy going about food and I eat anything. For instance, there was a chicken lettuce wrap. The chicken filling looked terribly unappetizing and did not taste much better. I told my wife it looked like Mighty Dog, dog food. Worst of all was the cherry pie. I have never had "cherry pie" with no cherries. Even if you are going to serve a cheap, store bought pie, there are at least cherries in the pie. This pie filling was a gelatinous blob, very similar to canned cranberry "sauce". I wound up getting ice cream and telling my wife, how could they screw up ice cream, but I was wrong. They managed to screw up ice cream... It had ice chunks which means the ice cream had defrosted and refrozen. The list does not end here, but you get the idea. 4. Over the top port security procedures. It is ridiculous to have to show your id and ship card when returning to the ship from an excursion, at the port entrance, and then again 50 ft. away and then again when going thru metal detectors and then again to reboard the ship. We have cruised Viking all over Europe and never had any experience like that. You are on an organized bus excursion. Everyone on the bus had gotten off of the ship. The experience was, as I said, ridiculously redundant. 5. The process for changing excursions was terrible - very cumbersome. Initially I went on line and read about all the excursions (90+) and made selections. After that it was a nightmare. The cruise was a surprise for my wife's birthday. Once she knew about it, she wanted to review the excursions. You can't. You can't go online and see all of the excursions, You have to unbook everything to see the full list. That is ridiculous. Their is a very cumbersome way to go online to see excursion by port but as I recall we wound up having 3 or 4 windows open for the whole process, lots of switching between windows and when we called for customer support, I recall waiting more than an hr. to speak with someone.... 6. That said, our cabin steward was great. Lauren Epstein the cruise director was great. The staff at East meets West restaurant was great and the 3 island itinerary with overnights was great but they are running that ship into the ground 52 weeks out of the yr. and we would not recommend the ship to anyone.

Old ship, poor food, good service, bad odors

Pride of America Cruise Review by chris.wiencek