Norwegian Escape Cruise Review
2,810 Reviews

Several issues before, during and after the cruise, but overall very good

Norwegian Escape Cruise Review by Jlawrence6864

• Sail Date: Sep 2019
  • Destination: Canada & New England
  • Cabin Type: Mid-ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

First real time issue we had was boarding. Our cruise ship pulled in late, due to bad weather from a hurricane brewing off the coast so they apparently went around it. We knew about the late arrival because our travel agent called us and told us the ship would be in port late and we should be able to board at around 4:00 pm. Our original boarding time was 10:30 AM. As it turned out we should have waited until about 9:00 PM, and what a fiasco, with everyone trying to board at once. They passed out boarding numbers, which no one had informed us about, and they were very rude with everyone with nothing to eat or drink while waiting in line for 5 hours. Since we had no number, and there wer well over 400 of us in that line, we were one of the last 30 people to board. We finally got dinner at 10:00 PM.

The second issue we had, was my wife and I went for massages. The massage itself was not great but just ok. I get massages weekly at home, so I do know a good massage. I was there to get a Swedish Massage, and they gave us a free upgrade to a hot stone massage. At one point I had told the masseuse the pressure was too much, and she backed off. Anyway long story short, when I Left there and returned to my cabin, I looked in the mirror and saw that she had broken a blood vessel between both eyebrows, where it looked like I was bleeding. We were due to have some professional portraits taken next as it was our tenth Anniversary. So we went down to the studio, and the photographer asked what happened to your head. When I explained he said no worries, he can color that in so it won't be noticed. He did do a wonderful job of it.

All in all the rest of the cruise went smoothly. The crew was friendly, really liked the steak restraunt with the Surf and Turf lobster. The show, The Choir of Men was most memorable, and is not to be missed as it was hilarious with audience participation. It just made our last night great, and the dueling pianos was also a lot of fun.

We did not participate in any of the excursions, becuse we seldom join anything with large crowds and prefer to get out on our own. We found plenty of things to see and do within walking distance of the ports.

We did take the free bus tours through the parks in Bar Harbor in Maine, but apparently they didn't expect the cruise ship, as all the busses were running about an hour late. This was not the fault of the cruise ship though as it was the National Park service, which didn't account for the extra people. The town was very picturesque, and the lobster and chowder there were fantastic.

I will be cruising again soon, but to Europe next time, so will look and see what's available. Value for the money was very good, but the price of the portraits was shockingly high.

Final thought - One of the most memorable parts of the cruise was passing the Statue Of Liberty at night, when the ship stopped, and the band started to sing, " And I'm proud to be an American" and everyone on the ship joined in. Thank you for that, that was an amazing moment that I shall never forget!

Jlawrence6864's Full Rating Summary

Mid-ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

Cabin was good and clean, a little tight, but we had enough room and enjoyed it. Cleaning crew were especially nice and very helpful. The full stand up shower was great, and had plenty of pressure. I really appreciated that.

Saint John (New Brunswick)

Another great place , and our personal favorite. Great place to just walk around town.

Halifax

One of our favorites. Outside patio restraunts, and farmers markets.

Portland (Maine)

Walked around the port area. Kept getting approached to sign LGPTQ papers to allow them to teach that in grade schools. Also environmental groups tried to sign us. Come on people

Bar Harbor

Took the free buss tour put on by the park service. Easy walk from the port, and well worth it.

New York (Manhattan)

Saw the 911 Memorial. It was tastefully done and not to be missed.

Jlawrence6864