3. Norwegian Joy
Flew to Seattle the previous day and got a little bit of exploring done there, then embarked the next morning. Embarkation staff was incredibly friendly and the process went much more smoothly and quickly than I had expected. My friend and I had a blast exploring the ship and checking out the different bars and restaurants, though we did not do many of the entertainment experiences. Our cabin was comfortable and clean, and the staff was very attentive. In general, our dining experiences were great - plenty of variety in the main dining rooms and buffet, and the specialty restaurants were very good. Not quite excellent, but still enjoyed the meals. I was very impressed with the friendliness and effectiveness of the crew, as well as overall cleanliness of the ship (I'm a bit of a germaphobe, so that was refreshing). Though we had a minor itinerary change due to ice, the captain and crew definitely made up for it by routing us to a different glacier and popular whale-sighting area, where we ended up spotting hundreds of whales surfacing, showing fins, and even breaching. Amazing experience. Had a great time onboard the ship, but definitely enjoyed the destinations more. My minor complaints were as follows: wifi was unreliable and slow, observation areas were nearly always crowded, and elevators were quite slow (to the point that we took stairs almost every time). Disembarkation went just as smoothly and seemingly quicker than embarkation. Although this was our first cruise, we very much enjoyed every moment. Heard mixed reviews while onboard of others who had been on multiple cruises - lots of compliments, but also lots of complaints. Overall, we had a wonderful experience.

Overall, wonderful experience - minor complaints

Norwegian Joy Cruise Review by eleanor_pier

• Sail Date: September 2019
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Balcony - Connecting Stateroom
eleanor_pier’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Joy price drops

Balcony - Connecting Stateroom
Cabin B8 8776
Clean, comfortable, and plenty of storage for how small it was.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Juneau
    Although my friend and I were slightly on a budget for our cruise/excursions, (thus, we leaned toward the more inexpensive excursions) we still had a wonderful time at the salmon bake! Its a short bus ride away from the port, and was not too crowded when we arrived (though, more buses came later on). They offered beers and other alcoholic drinks (not included in the price), a long buffet line of sides and other foods, freshly grilled salmon, and desserts. The food was amazing! We loved the ambiance, cozy fires, and nearby river. We walked up the path to a gold panning area and small waterfall. They also had a gift shop with connected restrooms that were very clean! Overall, we had a great time and would definitely recommend to others, especially larger groups looking for great food!
    View All 13,608 Juneau Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Juneau Cruise Port Review
  • Mount Roberts Tramway
    Short but fun tramway ride up the mountain. Price seemed a little steep, but I read reviews saying the views were incredible and absolutely worth it. Unfortunately, we rode it in the morning so the fog had not burned off yet. However, we still had an amazing few of the town up until about halfway; then, once we passed through the fog, we had an incredible view of the mountain range from above the fog-line. We still found it very worth the price; however, we wished we had known ahead of time that the ticket is good for all day. Had we known, we would have factored in more time in our afternoon to ride it again once the fog had cleared. Even so, I definitely recommend.
    View All 237 Mount Roberts Tramway Reviews
  • Ketchikan
    Wandered through the adorable town popping in nearly every shop and gallery. Hiked the Deer Mountain Trail for some awesome views of the port and surrounding mountains.
    View All 1,788 Ketchikan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Ketchikan Cruise Port Review
  • Rafting
    Ocean Raft Wildlife Adventure:
    Had an amazing time! My friend and I splurged on this excursion - and boy, did we choose right! Such a fun experience. Short bus ride to where you suit up in warm waterproof outfits (many sizes offered), then you hop in the boat and ride around the fjord! Took on big waves, did doughnuts, and spotted plenty of wildlife. The staff was incredibly friendly and knowledgable. Pictures don't do the scenery justice - so beautiful! We were in awe while still having a blast bouncing over the waves. And we had plenty of time to check out the town and shop around afterwards. Absolutely recommend!
  • Victoria
    Explored on our own. Wandered around Fishermens' Wharf, Chinatown, and everything in between. Cute shops, city scenery, and great breweries.
    View All 1,319 Victoria Cruise Port Reviews