3. Ruby Princess
An Alaskan cruise was not on my “To do” list but my daughter insisted we give it a try. I am so happy we did! Everything about this cruise was top notch. The ship is in wonderful condition considering her age. I found her size to be perfect- not too far to get anywhere on the ship. We never had a problem getting an elevator, actually a problem on other ships we have sailed on. We found the crew to be friendly and helpful. Food: Because we were in a suite we had almost all of our meals in the Club Class dining room. It was fantastic! We had a wonderful wait staff- Sheldon and Alex! We were fortunate to have a table in their section for each meal! The CC hostess, Deagana, knew our names from day one and always took us to Sheldon and Alex. Lunches in the dining room were very relaxing and warm. (The International buffet up on the pool deck was rather chilly due to the doors opening to the outside- which was cold!) Dinners I have to say we’re excellent. The menu was different than we had on the Caribbean Princess in May, 2019. Each night the entree selections on the Princess Favorites changed! There were also entrees specific to an Alaskan cruise. All meals were served hot and were delicious. For breakfast we were able to eat with suite guests in the Crown Grill. The fresh squeezed orange juice was a treat along with the freshly prepared eggs, etc. We also had an excellent dinner in the Crown Grill, but we were not happy with Share. The entire dining room for Share is over the aft of the ship and the vibrating was significant. They changed our table three times, but the vibrations were very uncomfortable. The food was definitely gourmet, which my daughter liked better than I did. I would not choose to go there again. Excursions: We booked our excursions at least six months in advance- a good choice as prices did increase. Although we booked the Pilot’s Choice helicopter tour in Juneau, it was canceled due to heavy rain and a low ceiling. That was disappointing but not really a problem. Unfortunately, the Excursion staff on the dock were very disorganized and did not tell us about our tour being canceled. We asked several Princess people who told us to find the tour people, who didn’t display the tour number because it had been canceled. After quite a while we were able to book the bus trip to the Mendenhall Glacier, which turned out to be fabulous! In Skagway we did the White Pass train one way up and the bus back down. The scenery was amazing! At the end we had a delicious lunch at an organic farm. In Ketchikan we did the Misty Fiords boat tour. It was very pretty but four hours was too long. For only the second time in 26+ cruises I had to visit the medical center. The staff was extremely responsive to my problem and the doctor was very thorough. Embarkation and disembarkation were both quick! We stayed in Seattle the night before and took a taxi to the port. The taxi dropped us right in front of the ship, so only a short walk to the building. Because the airport is rather difficult to navigate we took the Princess transfer, which resulted in a long walk with our luggage through the parking lot up to the checkin desks. Overall, our cruise was thoroughly enjoyable! The key is to pack warm layers of clothes and a waterproof outer coat! It’s Alaska, after all!

Fabulous Cruise!

turquoisesea’s Full Rating Summary
Get Ruby Princess price drops

Penthouse Suite with Balcony
Cabin S4 R415
Our suite was a handicapped accessible suite - we did not choose it but accepted it as an up-sell. This Penthouse Suite is configured differently due to the handicapped accessible bathroom. There was still plenty of room and we didn’t miss the tub. The double sized balcony was fantastic as we spent a great deal of time out there taking in the gorgeous scenery. The wooden lounge chairs came with nice plaid blankets. A nice touch. Our cabin steward was wonderful and provided us with all the information we needed to take advantage of all the suite perks. We did trade in our wet bar for a coffee card and four big bottles of water. The beds were very comfortable and there was a large amount of storage. Our only complaint was the location of these penthouse suites- they are all right under the pool. We knew this going in but figured the pool wouldn’t be a busy place on an Alaskan cruise. But in fact, there was noise, mostly from carts being wheeled across the deck, both early morning and at night. In spite of this noise we still thoroughly enjoyed our cabin.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins