3. Magellan
To set the scene, I've cruised once before on the Marco Polo eight years ago - and vowed never to do a cruise again. A converted Russian ice breaker does not a cruise ship make - but did do us well through a gale force storm. 8 years later myself and the wife wanted to see Iceland, due to her medical conditions we can't fly, so the Magellan was the way to go. Reading through the reviews there's a lot of common points raised, which I can now confirm or deny: THE CORRIDORS SMELL Yes, yes they do. Like a sulfur smell, I would take a wild guess at venting from the sewage system. But oh yes, there's a definite smell there. THE STAFF 99% of the staff are fantastic and always wanting to help. There's a couple that let the side down, but with a compliment of 400 crew - that's next to nothing. These people are teens/early twenties, doing 11 hour shifts on their feet - doing menial tasks - and stowed away in bunk beds on deck 4 at the back of the ship. It's a miracle they could raise a smile at all. Of particual impressive performance are the cabin stewards. Our own, Maguan was exceptional - and even learn't our routine so he could have our room ready whilst we were away. THE FOOD I can only discuss the Bistro. This is at a level of just above home cooked food. Impressively they cater with vegan and allergy sections. All sections have potential allergies marked against each meal. This is a Bistro in a cut-price Cruise Ship - I wasn't expecting Restaurant class food - but the choice was great and enjoyed a good feed four times a day. ENTERTAINMENT Yeah, this is great for the CMV target market of 60's and over. But for the slighter younger generation (in their 40's) - there's not a huge range to try out. We did go to the big shows a few times, but more for the laugh of how appalling it was than to enjoy it. The singers would never get past an X Factor audition, and their dancing skills are definitely limited by a rocking ship, but choreography had been well thought out. Give it 20 years and they're doing 80's themes - I'll probably be loving it. I however did not appreciate the sound engineer being so bored at his sound desk that he felt he could look at Ebay rather than do his job EXCURSIONS Yep - they're expensive compared to what you could arrange for yourself at a visitor centre. But we wanted a relaxing holiday and wanted everything ready to go without the hassle of personally booking a trip - and therefore also perhaps missing the departure deadline. ROOMS We went for the most expensive that we're still left available. Twin Premium Ocean View - that were an extra £1050 per person. It was fine, but not worth the huge hike in ticket price. SHIP She's getting on a bit, and the last refurb was some years ago. Fixtures and fittings are beginning to show some age - and carpets are no longer plush or have a uniform colour. But she's very clean, easy to navigate, and help stead fast in some rough weather heading towards the west of Iceland. CONCLUSION I've been converted, I will definitely go on a cruise again. CMV are not providing plush fancy cities on the sea cruises here, but they did provide a holiday I will treasure and that gave me no real reason to complain. Maybe except for stinky corridors. EMBARK/DISEMBARK Absolute rubbish. Disordered, no clear instructions and a rotten start and end to a great holiday. We we're due to be doing Faroe Islands and onto Iceland, but due to poor weather the Faroes were cancelled. As a result over the course of the holiday, I got 5 days of absolute relaxation, waited on, good food, great coffee - and

Very relaxed - and changed my mind about cruising

Magellan Cruise Review by Novbob

CONCLUSION

EMBARK/DISEMBARK

Novbob’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cruise & Maritime Voyages Magellan price drops

It's ok. TV had enough on it to entertain us when we needed it. Though it had 7 channels dedicated to advertisting CMV - talk about overkill.
The beds are located so that the pillows rest on all the light switches and power points - really stupid. Put your head down for the night and all the lights come on, and your iPhone charger falls out of the wall.
Shower was very good.

• Whale Watching
    Bloody cold with the wind chill, and through no fault of the excurson team - there was only a sighting of a fin or two from a whale. Four hours of frost bite and no proper sighting - Them's the breaks.
    View All 13 Whale Watching Reviews
  • Cobh (Cork)
    Only poor, because the rain was hard it was going sideways. Really fancied seeing the Titanics last port of call, but was too much of a sissy to get soaked through.
    View All 366 Cobh (Cork) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cobh (Cork) Cruise Port Review
  • Golden Circle
    This was appalling. Coach was an hour late, clear instructions were not given on several occassions. This meant some people didn't know their lunch stop was supposed to be quick and that they should go on foot to look at the Geysers. At the continentinal plate tracks - the instructions were so bad that we managed to lose 6 people. With all the delays, our last stop of the day at a musuem should have been cancelled, but instead we were rushed in and out within 15 minutes instead of the the 1 hour it deserved.
    View All 109 Golden Circle Reviews