3. Voyager of the Seas
We boarded in Hong Kong on 3rd September, we have been loyal to Royal and Voyager is our favourite ship. On boarding it became immediately obvious that something was seriously wrong. The ship was majorly understaffed and we soon discovered that this was due to Voyager going in for a refit immediately we disembarked!. We had booked the cruise as part of a package with a China Tour included and were not informed of the refit plans. I will now list the points that have made me do disappointed and would stated that we had no knowledge that the ship was going in for a major refit when we got off. We paid very handsomely for this cruise too. Stateroom - 3816 - Balcony. Old and tired. Drawers literally falling apart in your hands. Our toilet was unhygienic and we reported this several times. It was not giving enough water to flush waste away and you literally had to use your hands (covered in a shower cap) to help it on its way. Our bed linen was threadbare and not changed once in seven days, despite it being stained! There was one maintenance man, who visited our cabin twice and was unable to remedy the situation with our toilet at all. He was uncommunicative and really did not seem to care. He said he would call back - he never did. So we had to "deal"with the mess for seven days"!! Our tv - this was broken. Five calls to Guest Services over three days eventually sent us a man who said it was broken and due to be trashed once we got off! Well we wanted to use it and after three more visits we eventually got it to work - but we could see four other peoples stateroom accounts on it! Surely in breach of data rules? I told Guest Services who really did not seem to care. I have screen shots of all of these accounts too. The tv worked for one day then gave up - rather like we wanted to do!! Spa - I booked, on embarkation day - for a Fire and Ice Pedicure for 5.30 p.m. on Day 2. I arrived at the spa, which seemed extremely short staffed, at 5.20, and was kept waiting until 6.00 p.m. I noticed that the lone Pedicurist appeared to be running way behind with her client. She seemed more concerned with offering her client a hard sell on products - I could clearly see what was happening - rather than speeding up to meet her booking. At 6pm I went to the front desk and stated that I had to go. It was formal night, and there was no way that I would even have been started by 6.30, and with the treatment lasting an hour, and would therefore not have had time to get to dinner. As it was I missed the Captain's welcome! I complained to the Spa staff - who did not seem bothered. The Manager was not on duty. I then complained to the Guest Services and eventually had a call from the Spa Manager who could not offer me an appointment until the end of the cruise!! Ohh and she did offer me 20% off - I already had a Diamond discount of 30%. She said she would call back and never did!! I lost all faith in the spa. Speciality Restaurants - We booked Chops, Giovannis and Izumi. Chops was good - even though the waitress billed us for a glass of wine that we had free for Happy Hour! Not being able to view our bill on our tv - this was something that came to light later. Giovannis was chosen for our wedding anniversary and was a disaster. We were brought the wrong wine and soup and the waiter argued with us that we had ordered white wine with steak! We never do and when he checked his order he was wrong -he never apologised. He then tried to charge us for Happy Hour drinks ordered at 8.20! We had not had any all night. We were made to feel uncomfortable and hurried. Not a pleasant anniversary experience at all - and we were given a slab of brownie, not a mini cake, as promised. Waiters in Giovannis and Izumi were more interested in serving ship staff in uniform and contractors that were swarming all over the pay restaurants rather than passengers. Our wedding anniversary was spoiled. Izumi was a disaster as the waiter did not know what he was doing - he tried to bill us for the two glasses of wine we came into the restaurant with from the bar!! He then messed up the meal by taking all of the meat and giving us a long demo in how to use the hot stones. Our Speciality restaurant experience is not one that we would pay to repeat. There were little or no staff, staff in Johnny Rockets uniforms in Izumi and, on the whole, our speciality dining experience was not one we wanted to repeat. Food in the Main Dining Room was just ok. Our waiter was insistent that we order our dessert with our starter and main course. We never do this and eventually got him to relent on night two. It later became obvious that he was fetching all three courses at once - our mains were always lukewarm and ice cream always melted! The Captain, save one at muster drill, made no daily announcements at all. He was inconspicuous by his absence and did not even show up at the Top Tier Event. Similarly, the Cruise Director was rarely seen. The lifts were almost all out of action or not working properly and one whole set of four was dismantled around us during the cruise. The ship was being broken down on our last night. We were very close to the Library and this was broken down overnight and kept us awake.We later found out that the ship had taken on 120 engineers who were on board to start the 'rip' out under the guise of 'repair' men. The main lifts had large green nets over them and were out of action the complete holiday - we were told they were being repaired - the engineers showed us that they were actually being ripped out...You couldn't even wait for us to get off the ship. Out of the remaining lifts, two were broken, one broke down on day three. A member of the Ents team told us that the ship was being run on a skeleton crew and that those that were on were new or coming to the end of their contracts. The bars were woefully understaffed. I reported on two occasions that food in the Windjammer at breakfast was not cooked, in fact it was still ice in the centre. This was the corned beef hash. The Chef simply muttered at me and stirred the pan up! Raw food! There are warnings all over the ship about under-cooked food and we are offered it for breakfast. Friends also had raw chicken in their chicken burgers!! It was generally felt that the ship was being wound down around our ears. We got lack-lustre shows. No welcome aboard or Farewell shows. None of the usual napkin waving in the Main Dining Room either. Service there was certainly not the usual standard.. All in all we feel that this cruise fell woefully short of what we would expect from Royal Caribbean. We did not get some cheap offer on this cruise. If you were not prepared to give us the full Royal service then there should have been concessions on the ship - there were none. I am a Group Tour Organiser here in the UK and following this cruise would not seek to book any of my groups with you or recommend you. We were considering a group cruise in the Caribbean - this is now in doubt.

UNDERSTAFFED, UNHYGENIC TOILET AND A DISAPPOINTING EXPERIENCE.

Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by LegalEagle2012

• Sail Date: September 2019
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Balcony

We were considering a group cruise in the Caribbean - this is now in doubt.
LegalEagle2012’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas price drops

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 7D 8316
Old and dated. Drawers falling apart. Linens old and threadbare and, despite being stained, not changed for the whole cruise!
Toilet was unhygienic and did not flush waste away. We had to help it with gloved hands!
TV did not work. 5 Calls to engineer and still only functioned on one day - when it showed other peoples stateroom accounts! (five in total)
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins