3. Ruby Princess
This was a three night hop from Vancouver down to Los Angeles, an excellent way to pick up cruise credits en route to free laundry. :) The Ruby is not our favorite ship by a long shot. It’s small, and it feels small, despite her ability to carry so many people. When we got on board, I couldn’t believe the Horizon Court wasn’t a snack bar. What the heck? This was our second time embarking at Vancouver, so we know this wasn’t typical for them - or at least, this wasn’t what they used to be. There were three ships in port and boarding was a zoo. We came into the garage and were shuffled into a queue to a single elevator with our luggage to go down to the second garage level to drop off our luggage, then into another queue to take another elevator back up to queue up to register to get on board. Word to the wise: if you use a cane or are handicapped at all, GET A WHEELCHAIR as soon as you arrive. I was using a cane and was in significant pain by the time we finally got through all the check-ins, customs, immigrations, etc. Just... swallow your pride and use the damn chair. The food was, unfortunately, the least inspiring we’ve had on Princess. Not bad, just not great. Well, no. The Horizon Court selection really was quite poor, probably because it was just so darn small. Dinners were average - nothing special, which was disappointing. What really got my goat, however, was Princess is now so into increasing revenue on board the ships, the menu in the dining rooms include “selections from the Crown Grill for your convenience”... so if you didn’t get a chance to make a reservation at the Crown Grill (the pay-extra dining experience) you can fork over $19 - $29 for an entree in the regular dining room for an upgraded dinner. That is one slippery slope, IMO. Where does that stop? When do we start paying for all our meals, regardless of what we order, in the dining room? This I do not like. At ALL. I didn’t see anyone order upgraded meals, so hopefully that will stop, but who knows, maybe they will expand the practice. I sure hope not, but they seem to be pushing sales for as much as they possibly can, all the darn time. They’re now selling escape room activities, albeit for only $5 each, but it’s another pay-to-play, and $20 for a family of four. Bingo is getting more and more expensive (it’s now $59 for the most expensive package). Gelato will set you back $1.50/scoop, and sodas are $9.95/day + 15% gratuity + tax. Don’t ask about the unlimited booze, you can’t afford it. Someone (anyone) needs to teach them what afternoon tea is. It is NOT a hard roll and sugar cookies. It is finger sandwiches and little decorative cakes. It is scones with clotted cream and jam on BOTH SIDES of the scone after it has been split. It is a selection of tea (not just Earl Grey, which is all they had). That was just bad. How about the good stuff? The staff is great as ever. I love the trivia games (I wish they would schedule them a bit further apart from bingo...) Disembarking was a breeze (although the LA Port is a pig, there’s almost no where to sit while you wait for your ride, but that’s not Princess’ fault). Will we take Princess again? Unquestionably. Just not the Ruby Princess.

Three night, not 31 night, repositioning cruise...

Ruby Princess Cruise Review by Traveling Examiner

• Sail Date: September 2019
  • Destination: Pacific Coastal
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Don’t ask about the unlimited booze, you can’t afford it.

Will we take Princess again? Unquestionably. Just not the Ruby Princess.
Traveling Examiner’s Full Rating Summary
Get Ruby Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BD R630
It”s a typical basic balcony cabin BUT the location.... EXCELLENT if you’re part canine, or if you have a service animal with you, because at 4am, the bacon fryer immediately above your head fires up. The smell of pig grease permeated the cabin. However, it only happened on the first morning. Not sure why.
If you’re into that, hey, this is your cabin. If, like me, it causes you to wake up with a migraine, choose a cabin at least one deck lower than this one.
Aloha Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins