• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

samjess
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Aug 2019
Cabin: Family Oceanview Picture Window

This is the second time we've sailed with Norwegian and it will be the last. Twice now they have cancelled a port without having any kind of alternate plan in place. The first time was the Baltic Sea cruise where they cancelled the Stockholm port. Reason was that it was too windy to get thought the passage. And I understand that. BUT I'm also certain this was not the first time it was too windy and would have expected an alternate plan. I've sailed on other cruise lines that had to cancel ports and they quickly had a 'Plan B' ready to go. In one case it was an extra day in one port; in another case it was taking us to a nearby port where they had excursions ready to go visiting the same cites. This time on our Greek Isle cruise they cancelled the Mykonos port because the water was too rough (this port had tenders). Again, I understand that weather related issues occur. But again, no alternate plan. And no offer of any compensation. I'm sure the fine print likely says something about itinerary subject to change but a better cruise line would alternates at the ready.

I did complain after the first cruise and I received a letter stating that they would make it right on my next cruise. "Make it right" meant they could give me the "Welcome Aboard" gift which was a bottle of wine or $25 onboard credit. Are you kidding me???

I was also disappointed that there wasn't any stand up comedy on this ship. Not sure if that is all of Norwegian cruises (can't recall my last Norwegian). I'm not one for the sing and dance entertainment and prefer stand up comedy. I will say though that the magic show was good and also the Russian contortionist couple was good.

Family Oceanview Picture Window

The placement of the TV was poor. We had four in our cabin which included a pull down bunk. When the bunk was down, you could only see the TV from half of the king bed and not at all from the fourth bed. If the TV had been on the other side of the cabin (which doesn't seem hard to do) then it would have been visible from all beds.

The bathroom was a bit larger than I remember other cabin bathrooms to be so that was good. But storage in the bathroom was not as good.

Port Reviews

Mykonos

PORT WAS CANCELLED!!

Argostoli (Kefalonia)

Took local bus into town then took a taxi to the closest main beach. (10 euro each way) (Guide books say that most cruise lines provide transportation to town. Norwegian did not.)

Spent about 90 minutes at the beach. Then took the taxi back to town where we walked around. Then the bus back to the ship.

Dubrovnik

Croatia is very pretty. No need for an excursion; just purchase bus fare into town (you will need to change to their currency but there is an office right there).

Corfu

We opted to take local bus to the beach. After waiting 45 minutes with no bus arriving, we scrapped that idea and just walked around. Happened upon a swimming area which was wonderful because it was hot out. Spent a nice hour or so just relaxing on the cement banking and swimming in the ocean (?). Do wear your bathing suits and bring towels when you leave the ship.

Kotor

Very hectic and disorganized getting off the ship. We had to take tenders to shore and it was two hours after arriving in port that we got to Kotor. Nice just walking around.

Venice

We spent six nights in Venice before boarding. Venice is amazing. We also did a day trip by train to Verona. So lovely. Highly recommend spending as much time in Venice as you can prior to the cruise.

Find a Norwegian Star Cruise from $328