3. Golden Princess
The cruise was fine. Standard for a traditional line. The ship had entertainment venues that were waaaayyyy too small (more than once it was standing room only in the main theater and we left). I did NOT like getting asked/pitched to purchase drinks in the dining room however. Especially when we said no and they continued to pitch it. Previous reviews mentioned the international cafe as a great place to grab food that should cost money. I don’t know why to be honest. The food never changed here and the desserts were exactly the same as the buffet. The buffet food was standard: large selection but mediocre quality. Some of it was really good (they had a pasta that was delicious and the waffles in the morning were a staple) and some was really bad (sushi - it could barely even be called that and Mexican fajita meat supposedly but it just tasted bad). The dining room was traditional. I was a little upset that on formal night they allowed guests in with sweatshirts and jeans (other cruises would’ve asked that they change or eat somewhere else). Rather if they’re going through the effort of setting things up for formal with a higher menu and staff and ask people to dresses up yet you don’t maintain that standard for your guests what’s the point? The main dining room has decent food. They have a staple menu that never changes (which I have mixed feelings on: on one hand you’re guests have something to fall back on, on the other it seems like a cop out so you don’t have to try as hard). The other menu changed daily and was generally good. I’m fairly picky and had something to eat every night. As far as princess themselves (company - not cruise staff) I will not be returning. I arranged flights through them. No where did it mention the port is an hour drive from the air port in that. It had a section that said call travel agent to arrange shuttle to port which is fine but that makes me think a taxi will work. So three days prior to cruise I look into getting a taxi and realize how far it is and the restricted tunnel you have to go through that many taxis won’t take (it can take up to 30 minutes to get through if you don’t time it right). I called my travel agent and they called princess only to be told they can’t add it on with only three days (why?) and I should’ve booked it sooner. Fine. Mishandled and miscommunicated. But fine. I booked a private company for The same price and it’s less money that I gave to Princess. Add on my issue with flights that changed constantly and needed rebooked for more expensive options. Flights were booked through the cruise line, they called me at some 800 number to ask me to change them because it supposedly didn’t follow their requested windows. I didn’t answer because well it’s an 800 number I assume it’s a robot so they left a message. I called back to figure out what’s happening and was put on hold. 40 minutes later I’m still on hold. So I hang up (it told me it was the end of the day and and they probably wouldn’t get to me - super great after waiting 40 minutes). I called back in the middle of the day the following and I asked how long the hold was before they did and was told an hour. An hour. On hold. For an issue that wasn’t reflected in their website. When they’re the ones that called me. With no call back option like every other company that has long hold times. Dealing with my cable company was easier and friendlier honestly. Even if the cruise was great I wouldn’t be using princess again from that miserable experience. Also I never changed my flight and it was fine and they never called me back so I guess it wasn’t that but it an issue? When I brought this up to an agent they said nothing. Customer service on the ship (shore excursion desk) wasn’t much better. I had a question and was asked if I didn’t read the excursion instead of them just answering my question. Thanks princess. You get me so frustrated before the cruise that you’re right I will come back new. Most of the cruise staff on the actual ship was great. The shows and entertainment were all geared towards like 60 year olds. So entertainment for the under 30s isn’t really a thing. Also! There is no where to hide in this ship. There’s a “library” that’s right off the main piazza and is also the computer lab for anyone who needs access to their reservations. It has exactly 4 uncomfortable chairs for reading and you have to put up with sound leaking in from the center point of entertainment on the ship and people being frustrated over their reservations. Everywhere else is a meeting room that rotates events. The only place to be alone and not kicked out or bothered is the deck. On an Alaskan cruise. Or your room. Not great.

Ehhhhh