3. Celebrity Silhouette
This was our fourth cruise, first time with Celebrity. I have to say out of all the cruises we've done, this was my favourite company. They went out of their way to be helpful. Each and every staff member greeted you, smiled and said good morning, good afternoon etc as you walked past, from the lowest paid cleaners to the top management. I really felt like I was a valued guest on the ship. What I also liked was the amount of activities on board, particularly on sea days. There was always something to do, which we hadn't found with other companies. There were lectures, quizzes, behind the scenes tours, fitness activities, a library, and my particular favourite, a hideaway where you could grab a coffee and sit quietly with a book. We only tried one of the speciality restaurants - QSine, which was an interesting experience. On the whole the food was very good and they worked hard to deal with my husband's food allergies. A couple of niggles:- 1) not a lot of places to sit that were easy to get in and out of for the less mobile. The pool chairs you expect to be difficult, but a lot of the easy chairs in places like the library, the hideout, the solarium etc, were quite low to the ground. Easy to jump up out of if you're young and athletic. But if you're not, there's not a lot of choice of where to sit comfortably. 2) the people in charge of entertainment didn't seem to get that we'd sailed out of a British port and that 90% of the passengers were British. The daily crossword contained an awful lot of American cultural references, like names of Country singers and comedians that would be unfamiliar to the British public. Also the daily crossword was full of mistakes and even missing clues! Very annoying. The last straw for me was going to a quiz billed as TV music. The TV theme tunes played were all American ones - I Love Lucy, Seinfeld, The Golden Girls, The Office (American version) etc. Not a Hollyoaks or Eastenders in sight. They did play the theme to Dr Who, but then I think that's also quite popular in America. So most of us were sitting around looking at each other in puzzlement at all these tunes without a clue as to what they were.

Had a fantastic time

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by KarenWickham

A couple of niggles:-

KarenWickham’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Silhouette price drops

Concierge Class
Cabin C1 9295
Comfortable and clean. Bathroom contained a shower which was easy to get in and out of. Bed was plenty large enough.
Resort Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Barcelona
    We'd been to Barcelona before so decided to just get off the ship and wander around on our own. We ended up walking La Ramblas to the very top and back down again, which was quite a long way to walk in the heat.

The disappointment for me was the shockingly bad shuttle service. We were charged 5 Euros each to be ferried just around the corner from the ship. It was a good 5 minute walk from there to the bottom of La Ramblas. I was under the impression that we would be dropped literally at the bottom of La Ramblas. An extra 5 minute walk may not seem much, but when you're not particularly mobile and it's very hot, it makes a lot of difference, particularly when you're foot sore and walking back to the bus. I felt a little taken advantage of given the distance travelled on the bus.
    View All 2,278 Barcelona Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Barcelona Cruise Port Review
  • St. Francois Beach
    Short bus ride along the coast to a lovely sandy beach. We didn't have long, as the ship was only in port from about 7am to early afternoon, but it was enough. Because of the time we got there, the beach was pretty empty. Sunbeds and umbrellas were available to rent and there was a bar/restaurant nearby selling drinks and snacks where we could also use the toilet facilities. We were well looked after and had just enough time to relax and have a swim before going back to the ship.
    View All 3 St. Francois Beach Reviews
  • Rock of Gibraltar
    Driver was great. He kept up a running commentary on everything as we went along. We got to see the Barbary apes and at one point one of them jumped on the wing mirror of the bus an the driver gave it a drink of water. I got the impression they know him because he's a regular. I wouldn't recommend just anyone doing that. They keep warning people not to feed the monkeys. The view from the top was spectacular.
    View All 96 Rock of Gibraltar Reviews
  • La Spezia (Cinque Terre)
    Went on an organised tour to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa. We had plenty of time to explore the square and the surrounding shops an cafes. On the whole it was a good tour.
    View All 297 La Spezia (Cinque Terre) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's La Spezia (Cinque Terre) Cruise Port Review
  • Cascais, Sintra and the beach
    The guide was very knowledgeable and spoke almost continuously the whole way. The Cascais stop was ok, but to be honest, we only really had just enough time to walk from the bus stop, through the streets to the beach, grab an ice cream and then had to walk back to the bus.

Sintra is a complete contrast as it's in the mountains. It's a very pretty and quirky place. It took about an hour to get to Cascais, where we had 45 minutes, then another hour to get to Sintra, where we had an hour. Then about 45 minutes to get back to the city centre. So we only got back just before dinner. Lisbon city centre looks lovely to next time we'll just stick to that.
    View All 37 Cascais, Sintra and the beach Reviews
  • Marseille Tour
    This was an open top bus tour of the highlights of Marseille. If those were the highlights, I'm not going to rush to go back. There was a tour guide on the bus, but rather than her giving a commentary, we were each given headphones and there was a pre-recorded narration, which didn't work so well. I can't honestly say there was anything that I thought looked worth visiting except the docks with its market. The only stop we made was at the Basillica, which is right on top of a hill looking over the city. To reach the base of the church from where we were dropped was about 200 steps, and there were further steps once you got there. Some of the buses even stopped further down the hill, so passengers had a fairly long walk up a steep hill before reaching the base of the steps. So a lot of people didn't even bother to go up. To me the whole trip was a waste of money and a lot of people were grumbling about it.
    View All 67 Marseille Tour Reviews
  • Lake Bracciano
    This was one of my favourites. We decided not to go into Rome as it was a long drive and a lot of walking around in the heat.

This trip took us into the Italian countryside, to a winery, where we got a quick tour of the place and then sat down to sample a couple of the wines and some bread, cheese and meats.

Then we were driven to a small village on the shores of the lake. We had some free time to wander around the market or get a coffee or a gelato. The tour guide was very knowledgeable. Finally we got on a motorised cruiser to go across the lake. The bus picked us up from there and took us back to the ship.
    View All 15 Lake Bracciano Reviews
  • Southampton
    Staff were very efficient at getting everyone on board with the minimum of fuss.
    View All 993 Southampton Cruise Port Reviews