3. Explorer of the Seas
We sailed from Southampton and because we are Elite status on Celebrity, we are Diamond on Royal. This meant that we had priority boarding. We were soon on the ship, but had to go to the Windjammer for lunch as our room was not yet ready. I missed the welcome drink that we are given on embarkation by Celebrity. The room was ready just after 1.15. We were in 7314, which was starboard side. I was delighted to see that there was no lifeboat blocking our view. We unpacked our trolley bags and it was already obvious that storage space was going to be tight, no overhead locker as we have been used to on the Celebrity S class ships. Our main cases had not turned up by the time we went to Muster. We went in good time, so that we could get a seat. Not so on Royal, you queue up on an outside deck like school children waiting to go into class. The Captain made an announcement at the end of the proceedings and had to be prompted by someone as to which ship he was on. In fact we were led away as he was part way through his announcement. Really? As 5 pm was not far away, we went up on to deck 11 for Sail Away, which was delayed, so we enquired as to the whereabouts of the Diamond Lounge, so we could avail ourselves of the free drinks. These were constantly filled up and this remained so throughout the cruise. In fact we were one week into the cruise before we realised that we could ask for bottled water during Diamond hours. A fantastic perk for me as I use it to boil for my early morning cup of tea. We had booked Anytime dining and I had pre arranged 7 pm as our dining time. We were able to use our 3 free drinks loaded on to our card in the dining room until 20.30. A fantastic perk. We were seated at the same table every night except the first, as I am Dairy Intolerant, so this makes it easier for the waiter. Handy really looked after at table 321A. After our meal we found a seat in the Starlight Lounge, where we would spend 2 hours listening to Perry Grant. This was the one and only time that we were able to get a seat, as many passengers were still in the Theatre. We listened to him playing for 2 hours, but then I was weary of him asking guests the same questions, Do you have walk in wardrobes, do you have Formica in your kitchen, what colour is it etc.etc. We returned to our cabin to find that our cases had at last been delivered, but we left the unpacking until the next morning. I could certainly have done with the delivery being before the guaranteed 8 pm. We ate breakfasts in the Sapphire dining room on Deck 4 as it was waiter service. On the first morning we asked to be seated in the Diamond area. I was so pleased that we did this, as someone from our Roll Call group was also seated with us. We ‘hit it off’ and came across each other multiple times. We saw each other at the Meet & Mingle, where I was lucky enough to win the second raffle prize, which was a drinks container. Our new friend asked the CD why the ship was overbooked; they had been asked to give up their cabin by Royal, but as they had come over from Spain for the cruise and had an actual cabin, Royal told them they were OK to travel. Apparently there were 500 less guests than the previous week, which had still been the school holidays, where families had shared cabins. This week, most travellers were couples, and Royal had booked too many Guarantee cabins and I suspect not many guests had requested Royal Up ( we were still being sent e mails just one week before the cruise inviting us to apply). One feature of this cruise was the number of Alpha calls, ambulances met the ship at every port, even when the cruise ended someone fell down the escalators and had to be taken to hospital. We enjoyed the evening entertainment. The Barricade Boys, and Beatles Celebration were outstanding. The Starlight Lounge was overfull every night, so I was pleased that Perry Grant was invited to perform in 2 shows on stage, We also saw 2 Ice shows, one especially for Diamond members and Seasons which was performed for all guests. On the final evening the Guest Choir performed at 9 am in the Star Lounge. We just managed to get there on time, which was a good job, as my husband and our new friends had spent every Sea day rehearsing in Dizzy’s at lunch time. We were lucky with the weather, even the Bay if Biscay was calm and too soon we were back in Southampton.

First time Diamond

upwarduk’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas price drops

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 4D 7314
The cabin had everything that was needed , but hanging space was limited.
We had a wonderful view, as there were no Lifeboats immediately below us.
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Jameos del Agua
    This cruise was amazing, yet it could have been a flop. An American insisted that he be given a map, which was not available. He became angry and abusive. Fortunately there was a member of staff from the ship on the coach and the tour guide went to consult with her. The angry passenger also went to the back of the moving coach and was told it was against EU law to get out of his seat. We then took a vote on whether to continue with the tour. We arrived at the first venue, which was shut because it was a Sunday. We were told to stay on the coach while the guide enquired about the opening time and of course the abusive passenger got off the coach. He left the tour in a taxi, fortunately, as the atmosphere was tense.
    We continued with the tour and fortunately saw the 8th Wonder of the World.
    View All 5 Jameos del Agua Reviews
  • Madeira (Funchal)
    Funchal was the most attractive island that we visited, yet we didn’t have long enough. It’s pointless arriving at 6am when most people are still asleep.
    View All 658 Madeira (Funchal) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Madeira (Funchal) Cruise Port Review
  • Sete Cicades Crater Lake Tour
    The blue and green lakes were superb, but I felt that the visits to the Pineapple plantation and the. Otanic gardens were add on, as they really didn’t have much to show us. There were very few flowers in the botanic gardens.
    View All 36 Sete Cicades Crater Lake Tour Reviews
  • Tenerife
    We were only given just over 2 hours in Puerto, yet the information on our cabin TV told us that we returned at 1.45 pm. 45 minutes time lost which would have made a difference to what we had done. Really a worthless exercise.
    View All 13,226 Tenerife Cruise Port Reviews