Norwegian Gem Cruise Review

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by Lafexpress

• Sail Date: Sep 2019
  • Destination: Canada & New England
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Have never been to any part of Canada, was hoping this would be an opportunity to see whales etc. and wildlife.

Boston departure was ok, ship dock located in a typical big city port area, mostly industrialized, pick up at airport was easy once we identified the ship's folks handling transfers....no sign or anything, noticed ladies had name badges, assumed, correctly, they were with Norwegian transfer.

Cabin was fine, ship was a little dated, main dining room was a disappointment from the menu changing very little from day to day........service was very slow (one hour wait for Breakfast...really two eggs, bacon?), waiter told my wife the reason they took so long is "Busy, busy"!

Best Food was in Buffet, and Best Service was O'sheehans (spa?)

Loss of two best ports, due to storm was very disparaging, replacement (Portland) was ok, but not on my list.

Balance of Ports were Beautiful places, with very little to do or see, unless you jumped on a tour, mostly available from ship.

Saguenay was pretty, but, required a $50 shuttle to main part of town, which was eleven miles away......Port area was very minimal shopping, however, there was a seaplane or Helicopter ride readily available next to ship dock....Beautiful Fjord area!

Departure was very poor, we opted for walk off early with luggage, due to early flight (airport in Quebec ws 30 min. cab ride), ship allowed most of us to leave at about 7:15 AM, except me, (wife and I were 10 the in line to leave, was stopped at exit, due to red flag on my account......it was due to me having a $51 credit on my Sea pass account.....had to go up to Customer service and "wait" in line 15 mins(no notation on the bill which I received the night before to go down to Customer Service, close my bill out by collecting my $51....finally returned to debarkation line and was allowed to break the line to exit, and was stopped again, saying I still had a red flag...showed my receipt, noting my account was cleared, necessitated a call to CS, before allowing me to leave!

My wife was just ahead of me when we started down ramp, when I was stopped, had no idea what was going on, however, she did not panic, and waited on dock for 15 minutes till i exited.....than the fun began: walked about three blocks thru warehouse to Cab pick up, then we were told by personnel at door, it would be at least an hour before we might "see" a cab! wow! so much for early departure.....we were about halfway back to fence gate, maybe 100th in line when this announcement was made...also, we were told it was a 10minute walked to train station, with luggage, where we might find a cab? Not very impressed, wife and I stayed in line, from 7:45AM until 9:10AM, when we were able to join another couple in a cab to Jean Lesarge Int'l airport, made it, checked luggage, Kiosk were not working, were told a luggage check in we had 15 minutes to get to gate for our flight....fortunately we made it!

Note: Some of the folks we were chatting with, while in line to depart ship, opted to return to ship and take the cruise shuttle, we noticed they were arriving at airport after we had processed our luggage.....Our Departure Flight was scheduled for 10:25 AM!

Very dissapointed with departure operation......

Lafexpress's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BB 8032

Cleaned daily, mostly in the mid day time frame, well done.

Sydney (Nova Scotia)

Ok weather was still a little rough, Sydney had a nice closed shopping district, probably the best port of all.

Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island)

Another nice port, shopping close by, and excellent lobster restaurant near cruise ship dock.

Lafexpress