Norwegian Escape Cruise Review
2,810 Reviews

Bad beginning but good cruise

Norwegian Escape Cruise Review by unionhall

• Sail Date: Sep 2019
  • Destination: Canada & New England
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

My sister and her husband chose this cruise and we joined her on it. There was a major delay on embarkation due to Hurricane Dorian. Some people received numerous notifications from NCL and a lot of others were like us with no notification. I will not forget pulling up to the pier and not seeing a ship docked. We were able to drop off the suitcases but were giving conflicting information on when to return. We narrowed it down to the ship was going to leave at 8pm or 10 pm. To fill in the hours we decided to get tickets to a Broadway show. The upside was we enjoyed the show and it filled in the time the downside was spending $500 before we even got on the ship. We arrived back at the pier at 5:30 where people were being directed to go to another terminal because it was over crowded. I am platinum on NCL so we were able to go in and get on that line which saved some time. They started checking my line in at a little after 6 and it moved pretty quickly. We went straight to Osheehans got a table and thankfully we had a wonderful server. I think her name was Jamika from Grenada. She really helped diffuse my anger. I will say the first day of the cruise was ruined. I didn’t get my luggage till after 11 pm instead of being at a show we were doing a muster drill. I felt bad for my sister and brother in law paying $15 dollars for each glass of wine in NYC when they should have been using their beverage package. If just one of us in our group of 5 had received a notification of the delay we would not have been in the city so early. It was irritating to hear some people started getting text messages, and robo calls 2 days before the cruise and our group got nothing.

Moving on, the Escape is big and there is only a set of elevators in the front and a set in the rear which means a lot of walking to mid ship and back.Our room was right by the elevator on deck 11 forward. Perfect location for us. I had my 10,000 steps by 2pm everyday. The food in MDR was very good. We had great service from Jaha and his sister Sarah. We enjoyed OSheenans for breakfast and had 2 dinners there also. The comedians on the ship were really entertaining and super friendly when you ran into them on the ship or in the ports. Choir of men and Midnight were very good and when you could get a seat Howl at the Moon was good.I enjoyed our cruise but comparing this ship to the Anthem of the Seas that we did in July I liked RCI better. I felt there was more to do on Anthem. The other major problem on Escape is the smoke in the casino. They have to come up with a better ventilation system. I came home with acute sinusitis.

unionhall's Full Rating Summary

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BF 11780

It was very awkward to get into the closet. You had to squeeze between the edge of the couch to get to the side of the closet where your clothes were hanging. The beds were comfortable.

Portland (Maine)

Did much the same in Portland as in Bar Harbor but without the blueberries. Bar Harbor is much prettier.

Halifax

Walked up to the Citadel and then did the maritime museum. This was my 5th time in Halifax. I love the wharf area here. The food kiosks were new since my last visit. Enjoyed getting Poutine.

Saint John (New Brunswick)

We rented a car from Avis which was across the street from the dock. It came with a navigation system and we drove up to the sea caves in St Martin and then unto the Bay of Fundy trail. It is a beautiful drive. When we came back to St John we drove over to Reversing tides and then to a supermarket to pick up Cadbury candy to bring home as gifts. It was the first time I didn’t stop in O’Learys.

Bar Harbor

Just took the tender over and walked around the beautiful town and browsed in all the shops. Ate a lot of blueberry. Tried blueberry soda, beer, candy, ice cream, fudge, popcorn and of course Pie. Our group had the warm lobster roll at Stadium. Delicious!

unionhall