3. Norwegian Jade
My husband and I went on this cruise for our 25th anniversary: (Plus side note- you'd think by it being our anniversary and us telling them, that they would do something special - like maybe a bottle of wine or SOMETHING- but NO!!!!) We were Nickel and dimed for EVERYTHING!: You had to pay EXTRA for soda & Water! (are you kidding me?!), pay extra for "specialty restaurants", pay $10.00 for each Bingo card, Pay $12.00 to take an exercise class, etc... PLUS there was a surcharge on everything--food, drinks, ports, a daily surcharge,in the casino, etc... The food was mediocre at best- their daily buffet was terrible (mostly Chinese & Indian food), NOT ONE SEAFOOD buffet ever- I get better food at home! The food I ate in the other restaurants ranged from poor to good (and I am NOT picky!!) We were late to ports on a few occasions which cut our already short times even shorter, didn't get to stay in ports very long (many look like a long time but they don't tell you that your travel time to get back to port will be an hour-2 hours bus or taxi ride AND you usually have to be back a half hour earlier than the time indicates!), excursions got cancelled- and the WORST- OUR LAST PORT GOT CANCELLED! We didn't get to go to Florence or Pisa- the REASON we booked this cruise! To pacify the people, Norwegian gave $100 credit- BUT not to each person- to each CABIN which meant some people only got $25.00 credit. PLUS you could only use the credit on the boat (so they get it back again!) THEN they closed the gift shop and the casino so we couldn't spend it on that. Really the only option we had was to spend it on drinks (and with each drink being about $12.00-$15.00 you only got a couple of drinks -but don't forget to add that surcharge!!)- BUT most people already had their OUTRAGEOUSLY PRICED drink package so we got our drinks anyways!! Horrible customer service!! Music and entertainment on board was HORRIBLE. I felt like I was living 3-4 generations ago, plus I don't know who they get as singers and entertainers but they should NOT be there. No good clubs or DJ's. Not enough activities and any activities you did want to get involved in, there WAS AN EXTRA PRICE involved! We're usually up all night dancing and getting involved in activities but things were so bad we were bored to tears on this cruise and went to bed early every night. We are also not ones to complain and we "go with the flow". We usually can find fun in everything we do, but this cruise was ridiculous. I will NEVER cruise with Norwegian again and will be sure to tell everyone I know the same. We heard so many horror stories from other cruisers- how Norwegian was cheating them out of money, bad customer service, taking their internet time away that they paid for, horrible tours, etc.... The only few good things I could say about this cruise: the staff was friendly (to us), it was easy to embark on ship (a lot easier than I expected), good ports (though we didn't get enough time in them and one WAS CANCELLED!), and their nightly big shows were good (production quality) You think by missing a port they would have better customer service and do more for their passengers. Instead they did what they did (see above). INCREDIBLE!! Apparently they don't want any future business!

NEVER sail Norwegian!!

trtlodolce’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jade price drops

Mid-Ship Inside
Cabin IA 10603
The cabin was neat and cute (we got an inside cabin because we thought we wouldn't be spending much time in it anyways since we like to be involved in all of the activities)- HOWEVER there was hardly anything to do on ship so we ended up spending WAY more time in the cabin than we thought and got cramped. But each day the cabin was taken care of and cleaned and neat, so I can't complain about that.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Athens (Piraeus)
    We took a train to the Acropolis first thing in the morning (approx. 1.80 euos/person) and pretty much had the place to ourselves before all the tours came in! And then walked all around exploring the various ruins.
    Athens itself is a dirty, loud, and sometimes unsafe city so be careful. Many warned us about the train but we went during the day and felt totally safe.
    Go to flea market in Plaka area for best shopping deals.
    View All 1,270 Athens (Piraeus) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Athens (Piraeus) Cruise Port Review
  • Malta (Valletta)
    Saw much of the city by just walking around. Take a tour of the war rooms if you can. Went on a horse and buggy trip around the city (loved our driver- he took us where we wanted to go and stopped for all of our pictures- approx. 50 euros)
    At 12 noon there is the shooting off of the canons- get there about a half hour earlier if you want a good view from above)
    Shop the flea market for better prices
    Wanted to get to the Blue Lagoon but just didn't have time- next time!
    View All 623 Malta (Valletta) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Malta (Valletta) Cruise Port Review
  • Mykonos
    Before we went everyone kept warning us that Paradise Beach Club is too wild and crazy- but we decided to chance it anyways. So glad we did! (It may get wild and crazy at night, but we got there first thing in the morning and secured our spot (there are cabanas on the beach for $40.00 and under) and if you go to the very end, there is a beach club with restaurant, hammocks and a pool where you can reserve lounge chairs for 10.00 euro. Rocky beaches so need water shoes. There is a bar on the beach which serves Buy1 get1 drinks which was half the price of all the other places and which we made great use of! The food was great- we used the cafeteria type places to pick our meals for a lesser price. Everyone said it would be a nudist beach- only saw 1 person in the nude- most are tourists. Like I said, it may be crazier on weekends or nights, but it was a relaxing day at the beach for us!

So we spent the morning and early afternoon at the beach (I want to go back sometime at night because it looks like it'll be so much fun!) and then took a taxi (about 20 euros) to the waterfront area (little Venice and the windmills) and spent the afternoon shopping and eating at cool cafes.
    View All 1,083 Mykonos Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Mykonos Cruise Port Review
  • Naples
    Went to Capri first thing (it gets VERY crowded as the day goes on!!) Took ferry first thing (approx. 20-22 euros/person/each way)
    In Capri take a lift/cable car (4 euros) up to shopping the higher part of Capri- this is where all the high end shopping (and stars go) and great food!
    Rocky beaches- water shoes
    We didn't have time, but next time we are going to take a Private Boat (not a tour) to go to the other side of the island for the swimming holes, caves, grottoes, etc...- we hear great things about those!

After Capri we ferried back to Napoli and walked everywhere we could. The best shopping and restaurants are in the back streets/alleys. It's a busy city though, so liked the back alleys better- better atmosphere, slower paced, better food, etc.... The lift to the top of Naples is 1.20 euro each way
    Cheap shopping can be found on the streets (Not in the stores), There is an outdoor market with lots of food vendors (sausage, candy, spices, herbs, breads, etc...- yum!!)
    Got great views of Mt. Vesuvius from the boat. Apparently (as I heard from other passengers) the Tour to Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius got cancelled (don't know why) so be aware that they can cancel tours at last minute.
    That's another reason we do everything on own!!
    View All 1,432 Naples Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Naples Cruise Port Review
  • Rhodes
    One of my favorite places!! Better shopping in Santorini, but better atmosphere (medieval), food and drinks here. (.50 water). LOVED walking all around the Old Town, took a ton of pictures, then walked to Ellie Beach and explored around there. Another Rocky Beach (all in this area are) so bring water shoes. If you walk all the way down the beach the other side is less crowded but more windy. We also visited the Casino but in the afternoon was pretty dead and higher minimums at tables.

We pretty much walk anywhere we can on own and try to explore and much ground as we can cover. We like going out on own, so if you are like that- go for it.
    I definitely have to go back to explore more of Rhodes!
    View All 488 Rhodes Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Rhodes Cruise Port Review
  • Santorini
    KEEP in mind that we did not do any excursions from the ship (they are WAY more expensive than if you do things on your own!) Plus, when you do things on your own, you get a head of the crowds!
    Lots of shopping in Fera (use cable car to get up) and if adventurous, walk the donkey path down- (but beware it's about 600 steps, slippery at times and full of donkey poop!), then take bus from Fera (about 2 Euros) to Oia for restaurants. I liked shopping in Fera and restaurants n Oia better. If you want some great appetizers and just want to sit outside to hang for a while Papa Gyros in Oia has very good food (we stopped there for lunch). To buy bottled water it's about $1.00-1.50 (euros)- more expensive from restaurants.
    View All 1,019 Santorini Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Santorini Cruise Port Review
  • Taormina (Messina)
    Another of my favorites! We will definitely be coming back to stay for a longer period of time! To get from port (Messina) to Taormina is about 100-120 euros one way- we negotiated with a great cab driver (name Antonio- cell 349-0694948) call him up! Shared cab with another couple and got round trip for 200 (split 2 ways was 100 round trip), but he showed us everything and was very knowledgeable and then waited for us all day to take us back!!
    You could see Mt Etna from Taoromina and get some great pics.
    While there, take the cable car down to visit Bella Beach- there is a great water path to an island off the beach (bring water shoes- they also sell them on the beach for 10 euros) (water 1.50 here)
    NOTE: most things are closed on Sunday- esp. in Messina, so the people who didn't want to pay for a cab and just explore Messina couldn't do much!

So we spent most of our time in Taormina, but gave ourselves a couple of hours to explore Messina before we had to get on boat. Saw a few cool things, but like I said, most was closed.
    View All 415 Taormina (Messina) Cruise Port Reviews