Norwegian Gem Cruise Review

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by Keith63

• Sail Date: Sep 2019
  • Destination: Canada & New England
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony

Had such a good experience with NCL on our Hawaii cruise we thought we would book for New England with them. Called NCL and booked through their agent. We had two issues with NCL booking:

1. Booked an extra day for sight seeing for the plane tickets. When we got the tickets the flight back was out of Montreal, not Quebec where the cruise ends. I called customer service and was told "they don't change flights". All I wanted was to know how I was supposed to get to Montreal. "Your problem" is a direct quote. I attempted to escalate the issue and was told by NCL that I had to talk to Alexander who booked the cruise. I said..."he works for NCL".. they said it didn't matter. Called him, he told me thats the way they do it. I demanded he find out how I am supposed to get to Montreal. He said he would call back...never did....and wouldn't return my future calls. We eventually found out there is a bus 1/4 mile from the dock we took to Montreal. So disappointed that NCL couldn't take the time to help us once we paid them.

2. The recommended room 11600 which we booked was right below the kitchen for the garden cafe......they clean that place every night until midnight and start every morning around four. I know, I heard them every day.

Once on board we found the ship to be clean and well maintained, though a little dated. Staff was nice and the stops were just gorgeous. We really enjoyed the shows put on by the NCL crew (Swing and Blazing Boots). and most of the activities aboard ship. Ship internet stinks (but every ship I have been on stinks) so nothing new there.

Spent alot of time dining (who doesn't). On board restaurants (free) were both very nice. Good service and decent food but nothing to really write home about. Found the cafe food to be about the same but the level of service to be a little lacking. there was plenty of table clearing going on but was a little difficult to order drinks from the table.

we dined in the Japanese Steakhouse. Food was very good and unbelievably plentiful.

Overall, not the experience I was expecting. We did disembark in Quebec and took the Orleans bus to Montreal. Stayed in the Bonaparte Hotel in Old Montreal, I would highly recommend it (had a blast in Montreal!)

Keith63's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA 11600

DO NOT GET 11600!!!! Constant noise from the cafe kitchen which is right above the room.

Boston

Little time in Boston due to Hurricane delay for flight.

Portland (Maine)

Had a really good time on the excursion. Director was excellent and did a great job. Dined in town and shopped and walked the neighborhood.

Sydney (Nova Scotia)

Great tour with good driver and tour guide. Beautiful scenery.

Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island)

We decided to rent electric bikes here at a place half a mile up the street called Outer Limit Sports. They set us up with the bikes and directed us to the island long bike trail. we spent the day riding through some beautiful areas. Not really enough time to explore like we would have liked, but really enjoyed the bikes!

Best of Saguenay

smaller coach bus tour. much nicer than the big shore excursion tours because we only had about fifteen people aboard and it made for a more one on one experience. nice scenery and stopped at a cafe place for lunch. great spots for scenery and picture taking!

View All 10 Best of Saguenay Reviews