3. Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
We were on QM2 for the 21-day roundtrip cruise from NYC to Norway. This was our first voyage back on QM2 since the refit. She received a very nice face-lift along with improvements in food and cabins. (A few quibbles will be noted) Top 5 things both husband & I liked: Food across the venues was very good to fantastic. Party band (Purple Haze) played fun mix of funky Motown, disco and on to modern dance hits Sales personnel (stores, photos, spa) were truly helpful and never pushy (in contrast to our most recent cruises on other ships) Tea & coffee making available in the cabin Free 2-hr internet pkg for Gold+ level Cunard cruisers (best used in Connexions area) Additional top 3 for me: “Aqua Therapy Centre” (aka thermal suites) pass for $120 a week Afternoon Tea in the Queen's Room (traditional) or Corinthia (fabulous scone/jam options) Two Balls per voyage segment Additional top 3 for husband: Larger, clearer TV on wall with multiple news & sports stations New fitness equipment, esp. good weight machines No more smoking allowed in casino or disco (G32) More things we liked/appreciated: FREE self laundry including free detergent on almost every deck with cabins. Chocolate lovers should watch for the chocolate buffet in the King's Court offered during lunch (on last day of Transatlantic, first day of Norway voyage). Watch the daily bulletin because the KC also had a seafood buffet on occasion that was also very good. Sushi bar is wonderful! Even included vegetable rolls. Seafood offered everywhere was very good. If you go to the Verandah restaurant, definitely have Lobster cocktail (fantastic!). The seafood platter is an additional $20 (just for platter NOT each person). This is a LOT of seafood but all served cold. We would have preferred the lobster (2 x 1 lb) and crab legs heated. On a later visit to the Verandah, husband had steak and I had the sole. Both were excellent and we were well advised by the wait staff on which items to choose for entree and sides. Each portion of our trip included good enrichment lectures/programs. Transatlantic portion from NYC to Southampton was fashion week and we had a great time at the hat fashion show (also walked away with a nice swag bag!) Norwegian portion of cruise included author Lynne Truss (“Eats, Shoots & Leaves”), astrophysicist Dr. Chris Crowe and speaker Jane Davey. All were wonderfully entertaining in addition to the knowledge they shared. Awesome planetarium shows – pick up your tickets in Connexions lobby after 9 am (usually gone by noon) They still offer ballroom dance classes with their professional dance team and line dancing classes if you have that kind of early morning energy. Quibble – internet access is better and we really appreciate free time for repeat cruisers. Unfortunately, signal is not strong outside immediate area of Connexions. I've also been spoiled by other cruise lines that provide an app for smart phones that give me access to account information, events lists, maps and menus. This would have been very helpful. I had to go to the purser's desk every time I wanted to find out my account balance and if we lost or left our day's program somewhere. I enjoy most of the tradition and formality of QM2, but this update is really overdue. Quibble – on our first voyage with QM2, she had wonderful art at almost every turn. They even provided an audio guide to do a tour on the ship. It was like being on a floating art museum and I loved it. There is no longer an audio guide because the focus has turned to more historical posters & art. I can appreciate this but do miss the portrait of Jimmy Hendrix in the stairwell leading up from the reentry door and the aristocracy created from small metal fittings that previously hung in one of the main stairwells. Our favorite port stop in Norway was Flam. It was like a postcard village at the end of a long, beautiful fjord. There was the Mall of Norway with lots of souvenirs but very crowded. The tourist office was connected and provided FREE wi-fi! We did the Flam Train excursion which was fantastic for it's views. Have your camera ready for the stop at the large waterfall where they put on quite a good show. At the turnaround, the guides vaguely recommended people “switch seats”. Later we found out this was so everybody got a good view of both sides. However, we were not on the train when this happened so were a bit surprised to find our seats occupied when we returned and a bit of confusion as people tried to figure out where to go without causing a fight (some people chose not to participate and remained in the seats they had from the beginning). You may want to make arrangements with the people across the aisle when you get settled on the first leg of the journey. Quibble: Excursion guides should have done a better job explaining this from the beginning. We ended up sitting across from a couple that were obviously not pleased to have us there on the return journey. In Stavagner, we took the miniboat tour out to Pulpit Rock. As advertised, we found this to be “exhilarating & fun”!

Still My Favorite Ship!

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Karenallover

• Sail Date: July 2019
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Balcony, obstructed view

Top 5 things both husband & I liked:

Food across the venues was very good to fantastic.

Tea & coffee making available in the cabin

Additional top 3 for me:

“Aqua Therapy Centre” (aka thermal suites) pass for $120 a week

Two Balls per voyage segment

Additional top 3 for husband:

Larger, clearer TV on wall with multiple news & sports stations

New fitness equipment, esp. good weight machines

No more smoking allowed in casino or disco (G32)

More things we liked/appreciated:

FREE self laundry including free detergent on almost every deck with cabins.

Karenallover’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cunard Queen Mary 2 (QM2) price drops

Balcony, obstructed view
Cabin DB 6215
Tip: This cabin is under the Promenade deck so is not best for noise-sensitive people or late sleepers. I used ear plugs so nothing bothered me. Husband was bothered by the tikka-tikka noise the door makes under certain sailing conditions – we found that a slightly heavy bag pushed against it would stop or muffle the noise. We like the “sheltered” balcony cabin for the extra weather protection provided against the grumpy North Atlantic. Plenty of room for two of us and almost complete visual privacy (openings above and below side doors to neighboring balconies mean you clearly hear and can be heard by neighbors on their balconies). We were pleased with the new aesthetic of the refit done a few years ago. Husband especially liked the newer, bigger TV attached to the wall in front of our bed. Satellite provided surprisingly reliable transmission of multiple news, business and sports channels. Good ship channels still there and multilingual movie channels, too. We both appreciated the elongated (bigger) shower. Having packed according to the needs of our 3-week voyage, I did notice the loss of about half of a hanging closet and 2-3 desk drawers. The loss of upper shelves in bathroom has been replaced with shelves below the bathroom sink. All of our suitcases fit easily under the bed. Outlets near desk have been doubled (2 UK, 4 US outlets now available). A lovely coffee, tea set up is now available in the stateroom. We were welcomed on board by a full, chilled bottle of bubbly (complimentary). Bed was comfortable with variety of pillows but we've learned to bring our own foam-gel pillows when we travel. Quibble – it seems all the ships and many hotels are going to a big single duvet as top cover on the bed. Even in the North Atlantic, this option was often too hot so I requested an extra top sheet from our cabin steward which he provided from our second night on. I also had to request a few extra hangers.
Deck 8 Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins