AmaPrima Cruise Review

Relaxing, informative and beautiful.

AmaPrima Cruise Review by 801Jeff

• Sail Date: Sep 2019
  • Destination: Europe
  • Cabin Type: Stateroom with French balcony and outside balcony

We chose this cruise because AMA made us an offer we could not refuse after they had to change an itinerary due to bridge construction. With discounts and credits available, we chose this trip despite it's stopping in two ports we had earlier visited.

We had been on AmaPrima during its inaugural season and I found myself looking for signs of wear and tear after I noticed how pristine the ship looked. Other than some chairs which looked a bit tired, the ship was immaculate. The cabin was so clean and well maintained that we could have been the first cruisers to occupy it. Because it was a river cruise, the cabin was not large, but we had no problem with storage or getting around.

The crew was as professional and courteous as we had come to expect from AMA and Rolf, the cruise director, was professional, helpful and consistently good humored. The shore excursions were well organized and informative. Also, the excursions were not over scheduled, leaving us some good downtime and making daylight cruising along the beautiful Moselle river a regular part to the cruise.

The food was up to the usual AMA high standards except for the chef's special slow cooked lamb; that was the best meal I have ever had on a river cruise ship and among the best I have ever had on any ship.

801Jeff's Full Rating Summary

Stateroom with French balcony and outside balcony
Cabin AA+ 305

The cabin is relatively small but there is ample storage, plenty of electrical outlets, and is bright and airy. Because of the small size, there is no desk chair and one would have to be pulled over to work at the computer or monitor. The film offerings were good and the news channels were generally available.

Basel

We were only in Basel for a morning of independent walking, followed by a survey trip on a sightseeing bus. I think I would rather live their rather than visit. The attractions we saw were limited and we were not able to get a good idea of the reasons to visit.

Strasbourg

The older part of Basel is very beautiful and I would have like to spend more time there.

Rudesheim

Rudesheim clearly has earned its place in Le Plus Beau Villages de France.

Bernkastel-Kues

Yet another beautiful village along the Moselle.

Trier

We knew nothing about Trier, and the general survey trip was excellent. We will come back on our own some day.

Cochem

Despite the late date, the town was crowded. Nonetheless, the visit to the mustard factory and museum was very interesting and we are still enjoying the mustards we took home.

Next Review