Celebrity Edge Cruise Review

Creepy facial recognition invades privacy and poor value for money

Celebrity Edge Cruise Review by JoshuaW

• Sail Date: Aug 2019
  • Destination: the Eastern Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Class Stateroom with Veranda

The cruise experience is terrible on this ship with fun prohibited at every turn

- one small pool for 3000 guests to fight over

- pool marshals warn kids not to splash, just sit and be quiet NO FUN

- on the disco the DJ asked that no drinks be brought onto the dance floor NO FUN

- casual events such as bingo and trivia are hard to come by, no prizes / swag to be won NO FUN

restaurant staff are pleasant but seem rushed and service is slow

theatre productions are hit or miss

The ship uses powerful facial recognition on board which makes you feel like you are being spied on during your vacation. For example, I had an issue with my beverage package and the manager said he would get back to me. Later that evening as soon as I sat down for dinner he showed up to chat about my issue. Other crew I spoke with about various issues happen to run into me around the ship but it was too coincidental. Worst of all, I never asked for facial recognition to be used on me. This is why facebook is in hot water - because of the invasion of privacy and not notifying customers of the extent of the data collection and usage. The same with Celebrity. Only this time, it is not a free social media service but an overly expensive cruise operation.

The cruise is not worth the money and I would not take my family on it again.

JoshuaW's Full Rating Summary

Concierge Class Stateroom with Veranda

Bathrooms are spacious for a cruise. room is modern but accessing the cupboard and drawers is tight.

Catania

We took the taormina tour but way too many people from all the cruises and they did not allow enough time to see the one thing worth seeing - the ancient ampitheatre. Disappointed we had to head back before seeing that. I would do a private tour to see the place properly.

JoshuaW