3. American Star
This was our fifth cruise with this company. We did the cruise called, "New England Islands". As usual the food was memorable. And as usual service at meals goes at a slow pace. For the first time on a cruise I had servers dump food on me - twice! They also had a specific problem at breakfast. I believe most people are eager for the first cup of coffee in the morning. That was very very slow. They have a self-service buffet with fresh fruit available. I would take some fruit on my way to be seated for breakfast. Wait staff is in no hurry to approach the table. When they get there they have order pad in hand - but no coffee. They will take orders for food and drink - coffee. They MIGHT come back with coffee before the food is available (or they might not). The boat is one of the smaller and oldest in the American Cruise Lines fleet. When I asked if they had any note pads available I was told those are only available on the larger ships. They also have only one on-board "expert" while the larger ships (in my experience) have two of them. The larger ships have more staff and will serve you breakfast in your cabin. The other four cruises we took with this company were all on US rivers and the scenery was far superior to this trip. We saw fishing boats. We saw pleasure boats. We saw water. We saw islands. We had bus rides where we heard the names of wealthy folks who owned the houses along the road. Information about the shore excursions was limited and often wrong. Most of the passengers were (as usual) very senior citizens. Most of us would like to know: 1) how much walking on this excursion? 2) How challenging is the walk? 3) How long is the bus ride? 4) What is the availability of rest rooms on this excursion? This trip, like all American Cruise Lines trips, had organized activities on board. Unlike every other cruise we took, many of the scheduled activities did not happen. Other activities were bungled. With all my complaints, we signed up for another cruise with the company.

Not the Best American Cruise Lines Itinerary

American Star Cruise Review by allenm1043

• Sail Date: September 2019
  • Destination: USA
  • Cabin Type: Cabin AAC

With all my complaints, we signed up for another cruise with the company.
allenm1043’s Full Rating Summary
Get American Star price drops

Cabin AAC
Cabin AAC 318
It is an old boat and the cabin was a little smaller than the newer boats.
We don't use much in the way of housekeeping services. My wife and I make our own bed and use the same towels all week (just like we do at home). But when the trash cans are full (and they are very small so they get full fast) we like to have them emptied. One day the trash was full and my wife stopped by the office and asked to have it picked up. The person in the office said she would take care of it. Several hours later, it was not done. My wife went by the office again. The same person apologized and said she would get it done. A few more hours went by with no service. My wife took the trash down to the office but the person was not there. No one was in the office (a common experience on this trip). So my wife dumped the trash on the desk and left.
  American Star Deck Plans