3. Carnival Splendor
Embarkation - Terrible: To begin, parking at Long Beach is an absolute nightmare; the staff are extremely rude and unhelpful, and they refused to open the parking structure until after noon (regardless of priority boarding). Once we got into the terminal, faster to the fun helped to skip most of the lines, but after we checked in and headed to the ship we were stopped at the gangway because apparently the agent who checked us in failed to check in my son, so he had to get his picture re-taken and passport re-verified. The Ship - Average: he Splendor is an older ship with older decor and that was apparent. The staff did a good job of keeping everything clean and presentable. But the upcoming dry-dock should do wonders for this ship. Dining - Mostly good: On the first night my son was having a meltdown at dinner and a waiter from another section came to the rescue getting him a new pizza and a 'milkshake' (strawberry bisque in a cup). This same waiter sought us out on Lido and got my kids 'special' drinks two days later as well. The second night, we did the steakhouse - the staff were darn near rude, basically snatching glasses and menus from us and overall acting as if we were an inconvenience. The remaining nights we ate in the main dining room and requested the 'savior' from night 1. He did little things like getting special cups for the kids, getting them off menu items and boxes of cereal for snacks. he was great. Kids activities - Mostly Good: Camp Ocean was wonderful for our 2 kids (2 and 4). They thoroughly enjoyed the activities, and always wanted to go back. Also, the staff would acknowledge our kids by name even outside in the elevators when they were off the clock; great people. The downside, the camp closes in the afternoon each day for 'family activities'. They didn't do the best job of explaining that you can drop them back off at 6 on Lido for 'kids only dinner', the 'closures' were kind of weird to try and line up dining and or other activities. Cabin - Exactly as expected: We had an inside cabin that fit the four of us just fine. I wouldn't recommend the Pullman for any kids due to an accident that we had. But we were able to fit a crib under the Pullman, next to the king bed. Cabin was clean, quiet, and the steward took great care of us. Entertainment - Disappointing: As far as the fun squad goes, great. The activities around the ship were awesome, and the 'Lip Sync Battle' was awesome. The comedians were decent, some were more interested in laughing at their own jokes than doing their act; definitely had funnier ones on prior cruises. But the production shows were terrible, the dancing was okay, but the singing was absolutely terrible. I am not one that expects Broadway productions, but I think the cast of Glee probably did better covers of some of those songs. Ports and Excursions - The Same: I've been on this cruise before and there didn't seem to be any variety in the excursions from before. We were not able to get off the boat in Mazalan due to an injury, but it appeared to be a very industrial area anyway, but the 'jungle' area across from the port looked very pretty. Cabo seems to be getting more 'Americanized' in the shopping near the port. Less small vendors, but still a ton of guys trying to sell you an excursion. Puerto Vallarta has a mall and a Walmart directly across the street which is convenient if you need anything or want that type of shopping. Walmart has a bunch of the same types of souvenirs as the street vendors. Disembarkation - Okay: Disembarkation was much easier because we had faster to the fun, and self carried our luggage off. However, Carnival packed all of the 'priority' guests into the dining room with all of their luggage to wait for the disembarkation process, this was a total nightmare, no room to move at all. Service - AMAZING: I saved the best for last. I have been on several cruises before and i have never experienced the hospitality and service that I experienced on this cruise. EVERYBODY addressed me and my kids by name, some of which we hadn't met before, which was odd. but everybody seemed to bend over backwards to make our experience special. The medical staff gave my son a build a bear, the dining staff sent cookies to our room, the waiter gave special snacks and cups to my kids... aside from the steakhouse, it truly felt like we were treated better than family while we were on this cruise. The kids had an amazing time and were constantly asking to go to Camp Ocean, and if we hadn't had the couple of mishaps and the injury that we encountered, this would have been the perfect trip.

Amazing hospitality and customer service.

Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by tm_aw_love

tm_aw_love’s Full Rating Summary
Ages Under 3
Ages 3 to 6
Get Carnival Splendor price drops

Average interior cabin with 2 upper Pullman beds. Was able to fit a crib next to the king bed under the Pullman bed.
  Carnival Splendor Deck Plans