Viking Star Cruise Review
1,878 Reviews

So Much History! Felt very pampered.

Viking Star Cruise Review by d3cbrown4

• Sail Date: Aug 2019
  • Destination: the Mediterranean

We Arrived in Athens, we did the extension. I think it would be good to be more informative about the options on tours during the extensions. We had no idea that any tours could be booked there, so we did research and booked our own before arriving. As it turned out we did end up booking another tour with Viking that was guided, to the Acropolis. And thank goodness I had booked a "Private tour" for the same thing the next day, that wasn't guided, but since it was Private, we asked to be taken to different things. The lack of information might have been because we went through a tour company and they didn't know. But again, I think it should be a priority for that information to be given out, it would have been nice to have that option. Embarkation was a delight; we have been on two others cruise and it was so long. We ended our cruise in Rome, it was epic. We saw so many wonderful things.

The ship was wonderful very beautiful and Clean. Same with our room and our Steward was the best guy, efficient and fast and so nice. The 24-hour room service was awesome only used it once, but the food was great and hot, just as good if prepared right in front of you. The restaurants were so great, wonderful food, all of them. We were very impressed by the quality of the food, and that it was truly all included. On our other cruises the Restaurant's that you had to make reservations for, the optional ones, were more money.

The entertainment not so sure about, as we were so tired from our excursions we just wanted to sauna, hot tub, and snow grotto which we did every day and it was wonderful! we did go to one concert and it was nice. The violin players were very nice also. The excursions wow, they were wonderful. I love History and every port there were the best things to do. The only problem was I wanted to do them all. We did do 5 tours that were the included tours and surprisingly they were very good. I figured they would not be so nice, as the ones you had to pay extra for, but they were just as nice. The places we went and saw and learned about, is indescribable almost. We walked where Apostle Paul waked, we saw history frozen in Pompeii, The Acropolis, The Roman Coliseum, and everything in between. We are still in Awe and feel so fortunate to have been able to do and see the things we did. One thing I would recommend is water on the busses. Everywhere we went it was so, so hot. To have a cooler full of water available during the excursions would have been wonderful. We ended up after a few days learning and grabbing two bottles on our way off the ship. However, that was long gone after about two hours.

The service was very, very good we felt pampered the whole time. I had to watch myself sometimes because if I joked about oh, I would like this, or that, or something, the next thing I knew it would be in our room or handed to me. I asked for bottled water once at the bar to bring back to my room and after about 5 minutes I was handed two bottles of water. Then he apologized that it took so long. Stating "sorry it took so long I had to run down five decks to get it we don't stock that here", did I mention the service was outstanding.

This cruise was we thought A "once in a lifetime cruise" to celebrate our anniversary, 31 years. However, we are already talking about where we have to go next on Viking. Viking has brought our Cruising expectations to a new level.

Also, fun fact there is a little museum area that was on our ship telling about Eric the Red a very popular Viking in history, I happen to be related to him. My grandfather has traced our lineage back to him. So, I Told my husband Maybe Viking would give me a discount rate because of this.... My Uncle Eric....again History, History everywhere!

We highly recommend Viking!

d3cbrown4's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Deluxe Veranda 6040

Our Cabin was very nice the room was very clean, Our Steward was so great anything we needed was quickly attended too. The private balcony was wonderful really nothing bad to say about the room. However in my opinion, it would have been nice to have more drawers for clothing. We ran out of space for " non hang up clothes".

Olympia Archeological Tour

Loved all the history our guide was great.

View All 216 Olympia Archeological Tour Reviews
Acropolis

Booked our own tour we didn't know we could book with Viking we were not told, we did end up booking one when we got there with Viking

View All 390 Acropolis Reviews
Ancient Agora

loved it

View All 6 Ancient Agora Reviews
Archeological Museum

So great!

View All 65 Archeological Museum Reviews
Old Olympic Stadium

The Ruins were spectacular!

View All 40 Old Olympic Stadium Reviews
Temple of Olympian Zeus

We just drove by this. would have been nice to stop at

View All 25 Temple of Olympian Zeus Reviews
Temple of Poseidon

was awesome

View All 38 Temple of Poseidon Reviews

We did Ancient Agora instead of the Athens highlights because we did that the day before, with viking tours.

Was the best only thing better would have been if we were guided a bit after we got to these places.

Panoramic Corfu

was very nice

View All 54 Panoramic Corfu Reviews
Montenegro Highlights

this one one of our favorites

View All 102 Montenegro Highlights Reviews
Krka National Park

this was so pretty loved the small town dinner after, although it was very hot inside resturant.

View All 35 Krka National Park Reviews
Burano Island

Loved it, we did Murano the same day, there was not enough time to shop much we were very rushed. Also when you have a tour like this you should consider alowing time to eat a small snack there was no time for that if you wanted to look at anything or shop.

View All 38 Burano Island Reviews
Doge's Palace

Our guide was wonderful, so informative

View All 43 Doge's Palace Reviews
Gondola Ride

our guide asked if we wanted to go on one and he surprised us and got us one for cheaper glad we did this!

View All 94 Gondola Ride Reviews
Murano Island

we were very rushed

View All 63 Murano Island Reviews
Padua Walking Tour

This one was ok it was very hard to understand our tour guide.

View All 8 Padua Walking Tour Reviews
St. Mark's Square

the information was great

View All 47 St. Mark's Square Reviews
Sibenik

We did the historic towns Dalmation coast loved it loved our guide a young gal we had her for the waterfalls as well she was our favorite guide by far!!!

this was a highligh for my husband he loved the caves

Mount Etna

I liked it the volcano ok. We drove to Taormina after the volcano that was fantastic love the town loved the Greek Roman Theater

View All 91 Mount Etna Reviews
Pompeii Walking Tour

I think this was one of my favorites always wanted to see it it didn't disapoint!

View All 505 Pompeii Walking Tour Reviews
Sorrento

Such a cute little town! we went here first good thing traffic was crazy.

View All 165 Sorrento Reviews
Colosseum

This day was soooooo long but loved every minute of it. unbelieveable

View All 193 Colosseum Reviews
Private Tour

This was a very Very long Day but was excelent

View All 157 Private Tour Reviews
Sistine Chapel

Was so glad we had a tour guide and skip the lines was so worth it if not I'm sure I would have been there all day and I still wounld have seen it all.... I Almost cryed when I saw this so beautiful!

View All 122 Sistine Chapel Reviews
St. Peter's Basilica

View All 131 St. Peter's Basilica Reviews
St. Peter's Square

Amazing

View All 84 St. Peter's Square Reviews
Trevi Fountain

so busy but loved it seen in the evening not so hot.

View All 84 Trevi Fountain Reviews
Vatican Museums

View All 140 Vatican Museums Reviews

loved our guide loved the tour and it was in the evening so it wasn't so hot

d3cbrown4