3. Celebrity Equinox
I'm not really much of a cruise guy, but as cruises go, the Celebrity Cruise we were on was pretty good. When I travel, especially overseas, I prefer to go directly there and stay there for a week or more, exploring. Stopping for 4 to 6 hours in a port just doesn't satisfy my curiosity about a new place. And I never shop at Diamonds International or any of those other jewelry shops that are found in every port. If the ship recommends a place to eat or drink, I know that's NOT where I want to spend my time. ;-) I took this cruise because it was essentially free, a gift from MGM casino (where we like to play the slots). All we had to pay were the port fees and gratuities (and we had enough frequent flyer miles for free Delta airfare to Lauderdale). Actually, we made a little money on this cruise -- we were in the casino each night and both of us were pretty lucky. The Silhouette main dining hall (where we were on select status) was excellent, very accommodating of our dietary requirements and the food was varied and well done. The Murano was top notch French and well worth its premium price (which really wasn't that much). The Tuscan Grille was disappointing and I would not recommend it. Le Petite Chef was different, sort of fun, even though the food was just okay. And the buffet — well, it was a buffet: decent food, but a zoo loading up your plate, weaving your way through the crowds and finding a vacant table. We had breakfast there most days, but quickly learned to skip the pancake and omelet stations and just grab the things that were available without a line. And Café al Bacio (& the nearby Gelateria) was excellent -- best coffee, espresso and mocha concoctions. Service at the poolside Mast Bar and at the Sunset Bar was sketchy. One or two of the bartenders would excel, but most of them were disorganized, unattentive and, in one case, acted like they wish they were anywhere else in the world. Not very customer service oriented. That was so very noticeable, in part, because most other service personnel throughout the ship were excellent. But if one more bartender had tried to push me to buy a beverage package, I might have thrown them overboard! That was the most annoying part of the trip and the pitches came throughout the cruise, every time we asked for a drink. Neither of us drink enough to make the package a good deal, and we don't like being locked into a "package." We're more "spur of the moment" than that. It certainly made sense to offer the package on boarding, but after that, every pitch became an annoyance. I think they should have little stickers that say “No thanks”. They could put one on your wrist band the first time they were told you weren’t interested and not annoy you again. I am a usually minor mobility issue, but it flared up halfway into this cruise. The ship kindly let me borrow a wheelchair for our onshore excursions which enabled me to enjoy our time ashore.

No, we don't want a drink package!

Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by DeaconMac

DeaconMac’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Equinox price drops

Ocean View
Cabin 08 3128
Roomy enough, comfortable, everything worked, steward was excellent
Plaza Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins