3. Scenic Jasper
American's have not really discovered this Austrailian based cruise company, but we were lucky to find this river cruise while searching for last minute deals on line. We are experienced cruisers and thought why not try something different. We ended up having the experience of a lifetime and enjoyed all the benefits of a first class all-inclusive cruise. Yes, we were in the minority (we were only two of 14 Americans on board, versus about 75 Austrailians and 60 Canadians) but that proved to be an advantage. It was nice to escape the political noise in our country and get some other perspectives from those outside the daily fray. We ended up sailing on a 15 day itinerary from Budapest, Hungary to Amsterdam and were given first class treatment all the way. Even though we elected to arrive in Budapest several days before embarkation without buying Scenic's pre-departure package - they still picked us up at the Airport and drove us to our chosen hotel for no extra charge. Very few cruise lines do that for you. Our embarkation in Budapest was seamless and Scenic had the premier docking position in Budapest so we could enjoy beautiful nighttime views of the Hungarian Parliament building and several beautiful bridges our first night on the river boat. Disembarkation was also a snap and Scenic even had someone meet us at the Amsterdam airport to guide us to our airline's check-in area. So nice. Food and drinks flowed freely on board with no restrictions whatsoever. We had specialty coffees and drinks at our disposal night and day and a fully stockied mini-bar that was replenished immediately. The wine selections for dinner and lunch were truly memorable and designed to complement the deliciously prepared meals. I was very impressed by the freshness of the fruit, vegetables and salads - not always the case on many cruises. The included excursions and enrichment activities were first class and I feel they had the connections to get us into some of the best places to visit. For example, our private concert at Palais Lichtenstein in Vienna was just beautiful. Another highlight was attending a performance at the Spanish Riding School in Vienna as well as an evening tour and dinner at Marksburg Castle in the beautiful Rhine Gorge. E-bikes were available for each port and we totally enjoyed touring various cities using them. We often saw Viking Ships docking at the same ports and doing some of the same tours, but I often felt sorry for them as we seemed to have the preferred times and better guides. I don't know how Scenic does it - but they do. My only caveat would be in regard to cabins. Because we did a last minute lower-priced booking, we were only able to book one of the smallest cabins with no balcony. Although the room was very clean and well appointed, for such a lengthy cruise, we wished we had been in one of the larger balcony suites. I wouldn't have minded the small cabin for a five to seven day cruise, but after 15 days I was tired of our small shower and the minimal room in our cabin. But that was a choice we made and of course we saved over $3,000 a person in the process. Just be warned - small cabins are small!!! One final point - our on-board tour director was fabulous. Very organized, clear and well versed about all our destinations. I know that my husband will never sail any other way than all inclusive going forward and we would definitely choose Scenic for our next cruise.

First Class all Inclusive Experience