3. Carnival Elation
My wife and I just returned from the 5-day Elation cruise from Port Canaveral to Grand Turk and the Dominican Republic. We had a blast and would highly recommend this cruise. However. . . if you are expecting a luxury cruise, you will be disappointed. This is an older vessel, and much smaller than other ships we've been aboard. The buffet selection is limited and the pool is small. But it's like $450 to ride on the ocean, visit sunny Caribbean islands, and partake in all kinds of fun activities. Reading some of the reviews reminds me of the Louis CK bit where customers are complaining about wi-fi problems on an airplane. ("Oh really, what happened next, did you fly through the air incredibly, like a bird? Did you partake in the miracle of human flight"). Grand Turk The port at GT is just like all Carnival ports - a bunch of tourist trap shops and overpriced food. My wife and I did the snorkel excursion which was a good time. If you don't want to hang around on the ship, the beach in GT, (right next to the port) is amazing. Clearest water you can imagine. We also took a cab ($10) to Cockburn Town to check out the local scene. I do NOT recommend this and I would never do it again. Not a lot to see and frankly a bit scary. Dominican Republic We ported in Puerto Plata. The port there is the same old same old. The beaches are a bit further away. My wife and did the monkey excursion and it was phenomenal. A lot of folks rented ATV's or did the cable car or zip lines. Elation Cruise All in all the service was good, the embarkation was easy (expect delays disembarking), and the entertainment offered was fun. I've been on better cruises, but you get a bang for your buck here and if you keep that positive attitude you will be satisfied.

It's all relative

Adalesq’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Elation price drops

Interior
Cabin 4A R54
Bunk beds in our cabin. Not easy to get up and down if you are in the top bunk. Otherwise, this is your normal, cramped cruise cabin. It's cleaned when you want it, the attendants are always around our happened to be close to the elevator/stairs.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins