3. Norwegian Dawn
We are in our 60s. We took the cruise because we wanted to visit new places up North before it got too cold. We knew no kids would be onboard as school started that week. So 8/31/19 12-day cruise was a Grandma & Grandpa crowd. Entertainment was great, & staterooms too. But food onboard gets a 3 out of 5. Soups were poor. Brown watery cream of mushroom soup. Minestrone was not a soup but a clear broth with 6 macaroni and 8 beans. Most soups missed the mark; 'brothy' and clear. Bakery was great. Dining room - everything had at least 1 flavor/ingredient added too much. Garden Buffet every sandwich had mayonnaise on each slice of bread, everything! Corned beef sandwiches one day, pastrami hogie next day, every panini all week, plus turkey & Swiss, you name the sandwich served daily and it had mayonnaise on it. And on both sides of the bread! Nobody could make me a sandwich w/o mayo no matter who I asked. I have high cholesterol and take Lipitor like many other seniors on a senior cruise might have, but this 90% fat condiment (look at the nutrition label) was on every sandwich all the time and I couldn't get anyone to accommodate me and make me a non-mayo sandwich, not once. Everybody has a niche in life. I have diabetes and high cholesterol, but I'm allowed certain foods in moderation 2-3 times a week. But never mayonnaise, which was in a bowl to add to your sandwich in at least 2 places along the buffet line. Mustard (only salad mustard & no spicy brown anywhere, UGH!) and ketchup were at each table. I can have unlimited ketchup and mustard, but I would have been mayo overwhelmed if I ate any sandwich served (other than the make your own franks and burgers). If they had ready made franks in buns or burgers on rolls, they too would have been drenched in mayonnaise. The chef was mayonnaise-happy, I guess. There was plenty else to eat, I didn't go hungry, but I would have liked a corned beef or pastrami or turkey sandwich the 1 day it was offered if done so w/o the mayo, Even the seafood sandwich was topped with Sirachi mayonnaise. PLEASE LOSE THE MAYO. I can always add it, it's right there on the buffet but I couldn't take it off after they drenched both sides of the bread and sandwich that way. Service in the dining room was hit or miss each night depending on which random waiter you got. Smoked salmon ONLY served in the dining room at breakfast, but herring in the buffet. The herring looked like the bait I use to go fishing. One night we had our dining room orders taken and were each served the wrong soups, then corrected, and followed by the wrong salads next. Salt and pepper were in grinders that were identical, no P or S or other distinction on the grinder and I ruined a dish by adding salt by mistake instead of pepper. The foods had a dozen ingredients each where 9 or 10 would have been fine if you know what I mean. This wasn't Master Chef or Chopped, after all. But I didn't go hungry. Just overkill. And PLEASE lose all that cholesterol laden Mayo, PLEASE! I'll add it if I want it. The 'midnight' snack buffet on an earlier cruise was from 11:30-12:30AM. This cruise it was 9:30-10:30. Way, way too early for me.

Top Chef taken 1 step too far & Mayo disaster