3. Ovation of the Seas
Our party of four 60-somethings, including my husband and I and my sister and her husband, chose this sailing because we wanted the new, state-of-the-art Ovation and a shorter (one week) itinerary. I am our group's unofficial "travel agent," making all of our plans. We all live in Central Florida. After booking, I noticed an avalanche of bad reviews for Ovation on Cruise Critic. We were expecting a lot less than this gorgeous ship actually provided. Food: We ate dinner in the Main Dining Room, Coastal Kitchen, Charlie's and Jamie's. Only Jamie's disappointed--menu is not health-oriented, and decor is very plain. Others were awesome. I never had a problem getting a table at the Windjammer, and food there was pretty standard (and good) RCCL. Crew: I saw only one unsmiling crewman the whole week--he was out of place, probably very homesick. Steward Virgie, waiters, etc., were as pleasant and helpful as they could be. The New Ship Bells and Whistles: Okay, there is no Oasis-class Central Park, and there is less emphasis on Broadway style shows. But.........the Play Deck, as I call Deck 15, is stunning. The bumper cars, the running track, the (surprisingly busy) climbing wall, the Flow Rider, the heated pools, the Solarium, etc.--this is where my sister and I logged a lot of miles while enjoying stunning views. The 270 amphitheater on Deck 5 is also a technological step up--great venue for talks and shows and just hanging out. Best of all is North Star! We went up into this observation crane in the Inside Passage--we paid for this specific time, but you can go up for free so long as you sign up as soon as you get on board. Do this! The Itinerary: I would call our 7-Day Itinerary "Alaska Light"--and knew this up front. The Port of Seattle is a direct flight away from Orlando, but limits how much you can see in one week. Our week weather-wise was mostly overcast, a little windy, with highs in the 60s. Juneau and Skagway are beautiful gems, of course. We enjoyed the unspoiled, tree-covered, uninhabited islands that rise so steeply along the entire Alaskan coastline. We saw whales frolicking every day--no need to book an excursion for that. Victoria, British Columbia is also a wonderful and gorgeous, walkable city--I think it is a destination in its own right. We booked a decent walking tour, but I think that we did not need it--the layout is easy and a leisurely walk on our own would have been just as good. Final Thought: I liked Ovation so much that I just booked today a 9-night cruise from Sydney, Australia to New Zealand in February 2021! I could become an Ovation groupie.

Excellent Ship, Just Enough Alaska

BHappy2Day’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Ovation of the Seas price drops

Grand Suite with Large Balcony - 1 Bedroom
Cabin GB 8634
We had a Grand Suite with a large balcony. Honestly, it was a little too cold and windy in Alaska to get much use out of the balcony. The suite was perfect--divided into a small bedroom, a small living room, and a nice, large bathroom with a very good bathtub. There is so much closet space, a lit vanity, plenty of USB ports, US-style plugs, a hairdryer, toiletries, and a door bell. Cannot complain about suite life.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Best of Juneau
    Nice walking tour in a very picturesque town.
    View All 50 Best of Juneau Reviews
  • White Pass Scenic Railway
    This might have been our trip highlight. This railway take you through very rugged terrain, and gives you an up-close feel for the challenges that Alaskan prospectors faced in search of gold.
    View All 1,104 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews
  • Scenic Victoria City Tour
    This is a truly beautiful city--it is worth a trip in its own right. My recommendation is to walk on your own from the ship to the city center, if you like walking. We had a wonderful, knowledgeable tour guide, but we could have just as well meandered at our own pace according to our own whims.
    View All 53 Scenic Victoria City Tour Reviews