3. Viking Sea
This was our first Viking ocean cruise and we loved it. We chose Viking because we had taken a fabulous river cruise with them and wanted a similar ocean experience. Our only previous ocean cruise was on a large ship (almost 3,000 people) and we weren't happy. Our British Isles Explorer vacation was lovely from beginning to end! With Viking representatives assisting us, we breezed through Heathrow, found our transfer bus and boarded the ship (mid-morning) with ease. Complementary champagne while waiting for our cabin to be ready made that wait pleasant. Once in our Deluxe Veranda cabin we were delighted with its adequate size. I loved the big glassed in shower and the heated bathroom floor! The view from our veranda was usually delightful. Our ship the Viking Sea and its crew were a total joy. The ship is a tasteful study in tranquility and relaxation. However, there is ample opportunity to indulge in many varied activities and entertainment. The live music prior to dinner was enjoyable. The nights in the Atrium with the band were lively to dance to. All the shows and lectures we went to were excellent. I particularly enjoyed the Beatles medley on our night leaving Liverpool and the Irish “tenors” who preformed on our Dublin night. Unfortunately for those around me, I sang along to a number of the familiar Irish tunes. One of our guest lecturers was a librarian emeritus of the Royal Library -- oh, were his palace stories ever a treat to listen to (I didn't miss any of his talks). The food was phenomenal. Early morning at Mamsen's in the Explorers' Lounge, sipping coffee and eating a tasty pastry or two is the perfect way to experience sailing in to a port. The World Cafe is a great place for a varied breakfast or lunch. At breakfast I couldn’t resist the potatoes with caramelized onions. The Pool Grill is also nice for a light lunch. I loved the seared Ahi tuna. The Restaurant (main dining room) where we ate most of our dinners is wonderful and all I can say about Manfredi's Italian Restaurant is make multiple reservations. Our cruise started in London then sailed to Dover, Dublin, Holyhead (Wales), Liverpool, Belfast, and Scotland stopping in -- Ullapool, Kirkwall, Edinburgh, Invergordon and Lerwick. We ended the cruise in Bergen Norway. Viking does a wonderful job putting together included shore excursions in all ports. We went on every one and I would recommend doing the same. We also signed up for a number of optional tours. All were well worth it. My only complaint would be I couldn't do everything that interested me. A happy crew is a happy ship! It's obvious that the staff at Viking is well treated by the company because the entire crew goes out of their way to cater to your every reasonable wish. As my husband says, on Viking you are a guest not just a number. I hated to leave when our cruise was over but since I hadn't book the return cruise to London I boarded the transfer bus to the Bergen airport and am pleased to say all went as smoothly as our arrival. One of the best things on a Viking cruise is the classiness and friendliness of the passengers. We thoroughly enjoyed chatting with everyone we met. I can’t wait for our next adventure! We have two other Viking cruises booked; Empires of the Mediterranean for 2020 and Chateaux, Rivers and Wine for 2021. Viking's Windmills and Tulips river cruise is on the list for spring of 2022 but it isn't booked yet.

Better than Best!

Viking Sea Cruise Review by JodiOgden

JodiOgden’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Sea price drops

We were pleasantly surprised by the size of our Deluxe Veranda cabin and the layout worked well. The bed was very comfortable as was the rest of the room. The closet was a good size (ask for more hangers). The bathroom was great. The sink area was roomy with plenty of counter space, shelves and a large drawer on either side of the sink. I loved the glassed-in shower with its hot water and great water pressure. The heated bathroom floor was pure pleasure! Since we had the beverage package and could carry a drink anywhere on the ship we did not use the mini bar but it was nice to have it available. We have booked a Deluxe Veranda cabin for our next Viking ocean cruise.