3. Costa Magica
I was party leader for a group of 10 friends and family. I joined this cruise with low expectations, based on the previous reviews. What I actually experienced was way beyond my expectations. We did the Baltic Cruise and visited Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg and Tallinn. This is an expensive route normally and this was a budget price in the scheme of things. Based on what we paid and what we received there are no complaints. The food was of a good standard at the buffet and the formal dinner and in fact some of the formal dinner food was amazing. I had one of the best beef steaks I have ever had on one evening! The waiters could have been a bit more jovial but they were not rude and their service was fine and we always had a good experience every night. The room was bigger than expected with a good size comfy bed and plenty of hanging space for clothes. We did not see our cabin steward at any time on the cruise but the service was fine and the room was always well looked after. We did have a problem with a shower tray that would not empty properly so one ended up stood in water and also with water overflowing onto the main bathroom floor. I reported this and they came and fixed it while we were out. They then called the room later that day to make sure that we were happy with the fix and by that time we had not used the shower. When we used the shower we found that it was not working correctly still and so we called them and once again they came out to fix it. Once again they called us later that day to check it was ok and this time the fix had worked. I have been on many cruises and I have never had a follow up call to make sure that we were happy with the fix. This is a first for me, so well done to them for actually taking the time twice to make sure we were happy with the repair/fix. Credit where credits due. We did three excursions through Costa and two of these were very good. However we did do the Best of Stockholm and Vasa Museum tour on the final day which is a 3.5 hour tour at €70 per person their ref 2501. This is rushed tour and is not enough time. It ended up that we only had 40 minutes in the Vasa Museum, which is the highlight. They introduced this as one of the World's best Museums and a wonderful experience and then gave us only 40 minutes inside. This is ridiculous as in my opinion you need at least 1.5 hours inside, minimum. I would suggest that you go privately and take your time as this is an amazing museum that deserves more of your time. This was a blemish on what was otherwise a great trip.

Much better than I expected

Costa Magica Cruise Review by Happychappy64

• Sail Date: August 2019
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Outside Classic

This was a blemish on what was otherwise a great trip.
Happychappy64’s Full Rating Summary
Get Costa Magica price drops

Outside Classic
Cabin EC 1256
Large and comfortable with a generous and comfortable bed. We were on deck 1 which I thought might be no good but infact it was fine. No noise apart from the final night when they were moving the bags around for disembarkation when their baggage trollies seemed to be banging all night. Otherwise it was good as we were low in the ship so minimal boat movement and the corridoor is entirely straight the whole length of the floor so easy for getting up and down the boat once you knew the correct lift for whichever room/venue/deck you needed. It is very close to one of the sets of lifts at the front of the boat and also very close to deck 0 where one needed to leave the boat before excursions. This was great as after the excursions you did not need to fight for a lift as you simply walked up one flight of steps and you were on deck 1, very handy.
Veronese Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins

• City Tour
    St Petersburg is amazing and so beautiful. We used TJ Travel as a private tour operator and they were very good. Helen was our guide for two days. She was knowledgeable and professional but not the most friendly and approachable guide in the world. Having said that TJ Travel were very good from start to finish and I would recommend them. We did a two day tour to see all the main sights and included the Faberge museum as an extra which is well worth a visit. The eggs are exqusitie.
    View All 345 City Tour Reviews
  • Vasa Museum
    This excursion is 3.5 hours (Costa reference 2501 and €70pp) but is rushed. We only had 40 minutes in the Vasa museum which is a joke. Ive been given more time in a souvenir shop. This is not enough for such a masterpiece as the Vsa Museum. This is rated as one of the Worlds top ten museums and to get 40 minutes is ridiculous. I would not recommend this your and suggest that you take other measures to visit this museum and take your time. I would recommend at least 1.5 hours.
    View All 116 Vasa Museum Reviews
  • Bicycle Tour
    This was good fun but there is not loads to see here and after St Petersburg it has a lot to live up to. Our guide was friendly and informative but did tend to ride ahead quite a lot and we had a couple of occassions where bike chains came off and we then lost members of our group. I think he could have been a bit more attentive. It was still fun though and I think its a good way to see what the city has to offer.
    View All 7 Bicycle Tour Reviews