3. Star Princess
We started our cruise from Seattle, staying overnight at the DoubleTree hotel at Seattle, booked through Princess Cruises. I would recommend this hotel prior to a cruise. Part of the booking the hotel was the Transfer from the airport to the hotel and Hotel to the ship. The embarkation was very fast of the ship through checking and security on board in 20 minutes from getting of the coach. Of the three cruises we have been on this was by far the fastest. Our cabin was on Caribe deck 502, it was small as was the bathroom, the balcony was large as was the flat screened 32 inch tv that overpowered the room, you have to be careful not to hit your head on the corner of the tv which i did on occasion. The queen size bed was very comfortable. plenty of hanger space and I liked the shelving unit too, incidentally the safe was not working. The washroom was very small compared to the other cruise ships we have been on. The shower is vey tiny, a word of warning be careful with the shower faucets, the number are printed on the shower faucet and cannot be seen from inside the shower, you can be badly scalded if you are not careful. To read the numbers you have to get out of the shower. Dining was the biggest disappointment of the cruise. We went to the Horizon buffet when we boarded the ship as our cabin was not ready, as we entered the buffet there are two sinks where you have to wash your hands, standing there was a crew member instructing you to wash your hands, I was impressed, as it was embarkation day the buffet was busy, after lunch we decided to explore the ship, we made our way the Atrium, seeking out the Library, we found it off the Atrium, it was a small library with 3 relaxing chairs plus numerous computers, in the entrance was a crew member to give any help to those who needed it to use the computers. Most of the action takes place in the Atrium, the noise was so loud the cruise director chatting on his microphone on the highest volume setting possible, the Atrium is like a long tube reaching up through the middle of the ship, with decks and lounges going off them, how can you concentrate in the library/Internet cafe is beyond me. You can always find the Atrium by following the noise. The lounges are the same quiz games dance lessons and other entertainment are in the lounges at one time or another. The quietest place we found was the Skywalkers disco and lounge, I spoke to several people up there, they had come there for the peace and quietness, but no drinks or coffee are available. We are not open until 10pm we were rudely told when we asked a barman. There was one more place for peace and quiet and that was the Sanctuary, I believe it was $40 a day each to use, very expensive to have to pay for a little peace of silence. We found the ship was noisiest on sea days when in port it was much quieter. Back to the Horizon buffet, on the sea day my wife was ill, I left her in the cabin to go for lunch, I found a table vacant at one side of the entrance, as I entered I noticed there was no one supervising hand washing, as I sat there eating I counted 50 passengers walking past the wash stations in 10 minuted. What is the point of me washing my hands, then going and using utensils used by passengers with dirty hands. On other surmise ships and the International Cafe servers serve your food no passengers are allowed to self serve. I would class the Horizon buffet as an health risk. When we booked the cruise we asked especially for a table for two as my wife is deaf in one ear and partially deaf in the other ear, she uses one hearing aid in the partially deaf ear. She gets confused when in a crowd of people at a dinner table. On our third evening we decided to go to the Amalfi dining room our designated dining room for the 7.15 dinner. When we were shown our table we were surprised that it was set for a table of 8, I mentioned to the waiter that we required a table for two, we were told rather abruptly no tables for two are in this restaurant, I had been down to the restaurant to make sure we had a table, but during the day it was closed. The waiter then crossed examined us asking who hadn’t we been down before and also where had we eaten, we ordered our meals and ate as quick as possible, we ate in the Portofino restuarant after that Entertainment, Princess does a good job when it comes to shows in the princess theatre. The entertainment was first class Service was good except for the dining waiter who might have been having a good day. We only did one Shore excursions, that was at Skagway, we did the White Pass railway. Which was fantastic. We are a senior couple of 70 and 75 no children. We wont travel with Princess again, I realize its a family oriented cruise line, the noise levels are far to high for us.especially for my wife who’s hearing aid is so sensitive to noise. The other cruise line we used before this one, is more suitable for seniors.

Bucket list trip to Alaska completed.

Star Princess Cruise Review by Lawrenceat959

• Sail Date: September 2019
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

To read the numbers you have to get out of the shower.

Dining was the biggest disappointment of the cruise.

We found the ship was noisiest on sea days when in port it was much quieter.

We are a senior couple of 70 and 75 no children.

The other cruise line we used before this one, is more suitable for seniors.
Lawrenceat959’s Full Rating Summary
Get Star Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BC C502
The Cabin was small, the bed was queen size and very comfortable, huge tv 32 inch flat tv
Balcony was large, but overlooked from above.
Bathroom was too small, Shower was very small and you have to be careful not to scold yourself, as the temperature setting on the shower faucet is very small figures and there is a danger of scalding your self, Princess has put a notice warning of this.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins