Oosterdam Cruise Review
1,095 Reviews

Lovely, relaxing cruise with spectacular scenery

Oosterdam Cruise Review by operakatz

• Sail Date: Sep 2019
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Neptune Deluxe Verandah Suite

I chose this itinerary for the Hubbard glacier. My original cruise plans (was planning to sail r/t from Vancouver) got disrupted, so opted for easier Seattle embarkation). I originally booked an aft-facing deck 4 verandah and TA sent an upgrade offer about 2 weeks prior to embarkation for a Neptune, which I took. I had taken a very similar itinerary last year on Eurodam in an oceanview, but really wanted to see Hubbard. Hubbard is astounding. Disenchantment Bay is spectacular. Oosterdam managed to be in the best port docks at every port, which made my mobility issues much easier, thus could expend my energy in town rather than all on simply getting from ship to anywhere. Unlike last year (we chose 8pm dinner seating and only managed to get into MDR once as a result, we did Anytime Dining and ate dinner and breakfast in MDR every day, sitting with new delightful people every meal. Having the flexibility to dine at times that suited that day's activities and our hunger level worked very well for us. Only managed to get to 1 mainstage show (Stages) and it was fine (I don't cruise for shows). Oosterdam is beautifully maintained. Overall, the food was excellent. I did find it a little odd there seemed to be much less salmon featured in MDR and Lido (last year, my favorite lunch was a heaping bowl of salad topped with a perfect salmon filet and I never found that salmon at lunch and the salad bowls were smaller, but that is a small quibble).

My only concern going forward is how I am going to manage in less than a Neptune LOL

operakatz's Full Rating Summary

Neptune Deluxe Verandah Suite
Cabin SA 7062

Beautiful, spacious cabin in a pretty much perfect location - midship port, right next to Neptune Lounge. Arie and Tu (sp), our cabin stewards were fantastic. We spent a surprising amount of time on the balcony as the weather was not rainy (was forecasted to rain all week) at all and quite balmy for September in Alaska.

Whale Watching

Perfect group size (12), plenty of sea creature sightings (Orca, humpbacks, sea lions, eagles)

View All 906 Whale Watching Reviews

I had pulled my back out so was just in town to get some salt (and yarn if I could find) and to show ticket so my travel companion could go. Tour operator remembered me from last year (!!!) and personally took me to Raptor Center (which was the 1 item not on last year's tour) so I would not miss out entirely. Incredibly generous.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Ketchikan

I had no idea how fantastic the shops would be on Creek Street and nearby last year so had not budgeted for it. Came back with 4 shops on list to hit, found my large sterling inlay bear, some gorgeous locally-dyed yarns, smoked salmon and some mammoth fossil jewelry and a few Sue Coccia prints to add to collection I started last year. Love Ketchikan.

Victoria

We did not get off ship at Victoria. The best in Victoria cannot be seen/done at night. Enjoyed a relaxing evening on board.

operakatz