3. Emerald Liberte
Chose this cruise because I love France. Arles, Avignon and Lyon were really interesting ports of call. Ship was spotless. Food was very good. Service in the dining area was excellent. All staff and crew were friendly, helpful and efficient. We were disappointed that the ship often sailed during the night. When it did sail during the day, there was no access to the top deck due to the many, many lochs and bridges. (There was free access when in port). On day 6, the french authorities boarded the ship for an audit. The ship was prevented from completing its journey. The next day : * we travelled by coach to a vineyard - over 2 hours each way * a scheduled cheese/wine event did not take place * we made our own arrangements for lunch * returning from the coach trip, we were told to pack as we would be staying overnight at the Radisson hotel and we had to find somewhere for our evening meal * we were able to claim for 2 basic meals - but the allowance was far short of the standard and number of courses we had become accustomed to plus, unlimited wine with our meals * passengers were very low in spirit at the end of the holiday and we have never had an explanation as to why the ship's paperwork was not in order. * Liberte was unable to make its return journey to Arles, meaning many more disappointed people. I have written to Emerald Waterways suggesting compensation should be a seventh of the cruise price. I have not had a reply - just a standard letter and a cheque for £110. I don’t think this is adequate when you consider the disruption and inconvenience we experienced.

Poor compensation from Emerald when our cruise was curtailed

Emerald Liberte Cruise Review by fullenglish

* we travelled by coach to a vineyard - over 2 hours each way

* a scheduled cheese/wine event did not take place

* we made our own arrangements for lunch

fullenglish’s Full Rating Summary
Get Emerald Liberte price drops

Our cabin was very comfortable with wonderful beds! Well-serviced.
I have previously sailed along the Rhine where we were able to have lunch out on deck and watch the world go by. The Rhone is different in this respect. Our cabin had small windows - too high to look out of and, with hindsight, I would have paid more for a cabin with a picture window or balcony.