3. Norwegian Escape
We chose this cruise because it had been a few years since we sailed Norwegian. We previously sailed the Jade, and enjoyed it. Also, the NY pier is a 3 hr drive from our home. Bermuda is beautiful and I can leave a review regarding that on a Bermuda board, but for this review I am limiting my review to our time on the ship. The good: -Embarkation went smooth, less than 1.5 hour wait. -Sitting outside at the waterfront and dining during sunset. -Amazing view from an aft balcony -The drinks/drink package -Shows, particularly comedy, Marva Hicks, and wine lovers musical. The good and bad: The spa I bought over $800 worth of services and enjoyed it all. One down point here: I did purchase a nail fix as my most inexpensive service, $15 plus tax, to glue a piece of my nail down that was beginning to break. A couple of hours afterwards, it fell off anyway and the spa assistant manager refused to give me a refund. Because of this, I will probably not use the spa again even though the rest of the services were spectacular. I was even able to purchase the Keratase products I use on my hair here. My “vacation hero” was Amir from India who works in the hair salon. He was very personable and gave me a wonderful haircut. The bad: -Food. The food is generally not good on this ship. I am referencing the taste and beyond. The beyond refers to the night my husband and I repeatedly went to the bathroom with upset stomachs. My husband also orally could not keep any food down the same evening. The remainder of the cruise was full of upset stomachs, bathroom trips, bloating and gas. We both experienced this. I am probably used to a high quality of food but whatever the reason may be, we either didn’t like the food or became sick 60-70 percent of the time. On the ferry into Hamilton, Bermuda, other passengers also expressed their dissatisfaction with the food. Your best bets our the main dining rooms at lunch rather than the buffet and specialty restaurants at dinner, particularly Cagney’s and Teppanyaki. We ate everywhere except Le Bistro and Pinchos Tapas Bar. Staff onboard: Some staff members were exceptional, including our cabin steward Rochelle, guest service employees, Amir and Christina in the spa, bartenders and various waitstaff and we tipped amply on top of the automatic gratuities to show our appreciation. I suggest everyone do the same if they are willing and able. The problem with this ship is that service is hit or miss. We had very dismissive and slow service in La Cucina, for example. Also, when we called restaurant reservations to cancel reservations and free them up for others (after already making replacement reservations on our app), the female rep who answered was short tempered and impatient on multiple occasions. We were shocked that was the case when we were being courteous to other guests. Layout of the ship: The guest services, Internet cafe, main big screen interior television, bar, espresso shop and shore excursions are all in the same location with the art gallery not far away. Too many people are converged into this area of the boat at all times. There are also people walking slow and looking at art making it more congested. I have been on smaller ships that did not feel as cramped, including the Jade. I’ve also been on large ships that did not have this problem, such as MSC. In fact, Norwegian could take lessons from MSC as to how to lay out a large ship. -Disembarkation: Was a crap show. Our ship arrived into port late due to Hurricane Dorian and started disembarkation at 2:45. They gave out different colored luggage tags which were supposed to correspond with your disembark time. No one from Norwegian actually checked the tags until midway into the line or more and everyone appeared to converge on the gangway at the same time. Lots of people were visually frustrated and some verbalized it. -Water: Norwegian bring bottled water back to premium beverage package. It’s ridiculous that on a ship with wine and liquor everywhere, water appears to be its most expensive asset. Miscellaneous: Parking: We used a parking app, Park Whiz, to book a spot on 58th in walking distance to the pier. Very convenient to the pier. Shore excursion: Did not do an organized excursion, instead rented a Twizy during whole time docked. We visited Warwick Long Bay and John Smith Bay beaches and highly recommend both. The Twizy is uncomfortable for the rear passenger but a necessary evil to get around on your own unless you take a cab or bus or stay close to the ferry terminal. Visual appeal of Escape: 10/10 exterior. Inside, however, could use some color and rooms in need of refurbishment. I added this to miscellaneous as it is purely subjective and thus, I have tried not to base my review on.

Poor cruise but Bermuda not to blame

Norwegian Escape Cruise Review by harfordguru

• Sail Date: September 2019
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Aft-facing Balcony Stateroom

Also, the NY pier is a 3 hr drive from our home.

The good:

-Embarkation went smooth, less than 1.5 hour wait.

-Sitting outside at the waterfront and dining during sunset.

-Amazing view from an aft balcony

-The drinks/drink package

-Shows, particularly comedy, Marva Hicks, and wine lovers musical.

The good and bad: The spa

The bad:

Miscellaneous:

harfordguru’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Escape price drops

Aft-facing Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B1 15884
15884: Beautiful view but do be prepared for chairs moving very early in morning and late at night from the buffet overhead.
Deck 15 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins