3. Caribbean Princess
This review is being written by a husband with a scooter-bound wife. We chose this cruise for the Greenland destination. In general, we enjoyed the cruise with only a few minor issues. Note to handicapped cruisers: If you or your travelling companion are mobility impaired, understand from the outset that there are many activities you may not be able to do (e.g.; get in and out of a tender to go ashore). If you use an electric scooter to get around, the ship's carpeting will consume your scooter's battery charge at a prodigious rate - you will need to carry your battery charger with you. You will also find many spots on the ship will be a tight fit. These issues are not unique to this cruise, or for that matter, Princess - handicapped cruisers will find them on any cruise from any line. A little forethought will minimize the inconveniences. Now on to the review proper: Embarkation: We used Princess-arranged transportation and flew in on the embarkation day. I recommend other cruisers do the same, as once you get on your flight, getting you to the ship is guaranteed by the cruise line. That said, delays with getting all the luggage screened delayed the ship departure for about 2 hours. Disembarkation: Our disembarkation flight was arranged by Princess. Our originally scheduled disembarkation time was unreasonably close to our flight departure time, so I had it moved up. Our luggage did not come off with our disembarkation, causing a minor panic. In the end, we got our luggage and made our flight; we would not have done so had we kept our original disembarkation time. The Ship: We have been on the Caribbean Princess before. The ship was in good condition, clean, and everything worked. While on the subject of the ship, I took the Ultimate Ship Tour that covers the working of the ship. This tour is not heavily promoted and you can only sign up for it while on board, but it is well worth it. The Cabin: We had Rivera (deck 14) 312 - an interior handicapped accessible cabin which we got as it was the last handicapped accessible cabin available for this cruise. While we would have preferred an obstructed view cabin lower down, this cabin was good. I have two comments on the cabin: 1) the bathroom door was close to the closet, which made for fancy scooter maneuvering for my wife to get in and out of the bathroom, and 2) you only get 2 electrical outlets in the cabin. Both of them were by the desk, which meant we had to get an extension cord to allow the scooter to stay by the bed while charging. Dining: In general, we ate at the buffet, avoiding the dining rooms and upcharge restaurants. We found the quality and variety of food to be good, but sometimes getting a table near an electrical outlet was a problem (see the Note to Handicapped Cruisers above). A minor gripe at the buffet was that the carving station was frequently unstaffed. We did have two "pub lunches" - we found the food at the pub lunches to be authentic and well prepared. Entertainment and Activities: The challenge for seeing production shows in the Princess Theater was getting into the theater in the first place. You had to be in your seat at least an hour before the performance start. To Princess's credit, they scheduled extra performances so eventually everyone could see the shows. The shows themselves were of high quality. Also good was the magician (Michael Barron), who also did a demonstration on how to perform some simple tricks. As is true of any cruise line, many of the onboard activities involved trying to sell you things. I have mentioned the Ultimate Ship Tour showing the working of the ship; do take it. In lighter entertainment, the cruise director lampooned the elevator situation with a game called "Elevator Roulette". Service: We put in an extra shout out for our cabin steward Dexter Dineros for service above and beyond the call of sanity. Other service folks were equally nice and helpful. Ports and Shore Excursions: Since my wife is scooter bound, we were limited to bus tours in Canadian ports (Halifax, Sidney, and St. John's). These tours were excellent. Greenland is very hilly and was largely inaccessible for scooter-bound people like my wife. She did get off the ship and onto the pier at Nuuk, but to go any further would have involved a long hill climb. The ports we visited in Greenland were small, and our cruise ship essentially doubled the ports' population for the day. As for the tours themselves: Nuuk: I took a walking tour that started in a Greenlander's house, we then went to the center of town where our tour guide gave us maps of the city and turned us loose. Qaqortoq: This was a tender port, so my wife stayed on the ship. I took a walking tour of the town, and this tour guide stayed with us the whole time. This tour was nice. Nanortalik: This was a tender port. Unfortunately, my wife and I had developed colds and so stayed on the ship. We heard from other cruisers that the local elementary school had sent its students to the landing to practice their English with the cruisers. Would we go on this cruise again? Yes

Trip to Greenland with a handicapped guest

Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by wgmiller

Now on to the review proper:

Would we go on this cruise again? Yes
wgmiller’s Full Rating Summary
Get Caribbean Princess price drops

Cabin R312
R312 in an interior handicapped accessible cabin. In general, the cabin was good and what we expected The cabin needs more electrical outlets, especially around the nightstands.
  Caribbean Princess Deck Plans