Norwegian Bliss Cruise Review
1,207 Reviews

Great ship, but had issues related to food and medical center...

Norwegian Bliss Cruise Review by radhey

• Sail Date: Aug 2019
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Mid-ship Balcony Stateroom

The ship is great, balcony cabin was excellent and had lot of fun time. For majority scenario where a person who doesn't have dietary restrictions and didn't have to go to medical center, I would have given 4.5 stars.

My only gripe is related to uncleanliness in Medical center and inconsistent responses from the staff in Garden cafe' that affected our dietery needs (making us feeling guilty and not enjoying it to the fullest).

1. Medical Center: I had to take my 9 year old son to the medical center as he threw up few times and was complaining about heartburn. The staff wasn't friendly and she started with money talk - "you need to pay $200 for the doctor just to see the patient and that needs to be charged to your stateroom (i.e. no insurance would be accepted). In addition, any other procedures after the consultations will be charged separately". Although I think this is required to set the right expectations - I would have loved to see empathy towards the patient who was in pain (totally opposite considering the service we were getting anywhere else on the ship). The biggest letdown for me was the operating room she took us to wait for the doctor to come. When I looked at that room, I was terrified. The room was unkempt and there were blood stains on the floor. We didn't feel good overall - and decided to skip the visit. Made sure we control the food intake that day and with that our son came back to normal (light meal, lemon water and some OTC medicines we had with us).

2. Dietary needs: We had dietary needs (no eggs, no meat, no fish, no alcohol). We let the cruise know in advance, and also met the associate maître d' on first day of the cruise to let them know. In Garden cafe' there was "Taste of India" station that met most of our needs (which was good). But at other stations, it was very difficult to figure out especially regarding eggs. For the exact same food item, I received 3 different answers from the people serving at that station on different days - 1. It's vegetarian (no eggs), 2. It has eggs, 3. It is made with fish sauce. For the first two days we ate it considering that addresses our dietary needs only to realize it wasn't correct the other day (this might have been the reason for us to visit Medical center). I have suggestion to the NCL staff to just put 5 checkboxes (or icons) for every food item: Meat/Fish, Eggs, Nuts, Gluten, Dairy. The chef who prepares the item already knows the contents (and SHOULD know), so making it visible addresses most of dietary needs making it very clear to everyone, and we don't end up getting confusing answers and also it will help respect guest's dietary restrictions.

3. Inconsistent responses from food staff: In Garden Cafe' (main dining room), there are foods marked with "Green" and "Red" labels. I asked the question on what does that indicate - here again there were multiple responses. My initial gut was 'green' means vegetarian food, and red means non-vegetarian food (i.e. containing meat/fish). The biggest letdown was that the Food and Beverage Director didn't have an idea about it. He first agreed with me, and when I showed him that a vegetarian food shows as red, he started giving some random reasons which made no sense. Finally the restaurant manager (who reports to the director) came and told that 'green' means cold food and 'red' means hot food. I would be interested to know why green/red combo was chosen, as usually green in terms of food denotes vegetarian/vegan food, and hot/cold in general is indicated by red/blue color (like hot/cold water in shower or at the sink). After this experience, I asked same question to two other people managing the garden cafe, and again got different answers :). Again, suggestion for NCL staff is to use "BLUE/RED" color combo for denoting "Cold/Hot" which is consistent with expectations.

radhey's Full Rating Summary

Mid-ship Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BA 13868

Excellent cabin. Clean and tidy.

radhey