3. Emerald Liberte
We chose this cruise because of the excellent experience we had with Emerald on the Douro earlier this year. The company were very helpful with choosing flights and sorting out embarkation and disembarkation.The ship was very clean and staff were helpful and the Cruise Director was exceptional - thanks Darren! Having a larger pool was a bonus, as were the acuarobics. Entertainment was up to the usual Emerald standard, and the shore excursions and activities each day were interesting and good value. Food was generally very imaginative and we had the services of a famous French chef one evening, who produced a really splendid dinner. It was a very hot week, and the air conditioning throughout the ship was welcome. This meant that outside activities were restricted. I would have preferred a more relaxed dining option like we had on the Douro - i.e. dinner from 7.30 - 9.00 p.m. rather than the set time of 7 with a 15 minute window. Too early for us, but I understand that the Americans like to dine at that time. The ship mainly sailed through the night, and that meant we didn't enjoy much of the wonderful countryside and the excitement of going through the 12 locks - the nicest days were the last two, leaving at 3.15p.m. for the journey.

An interesting way to see some of the towns and cities on the Rhone and Saone

Emerald Liberte Cruise Review by Mrsfrangee

• Sail Date: August 2019
  • Destination: Europe

Mrsfrangee’s Full Rating Summary
Get Emerald Liberte price drops

Top floor 'panorama balcony'. Clean but compact. Still hate the bathroom, especially the sliding door next to the bed.

I also had to buy an eye mask because of the bright lights of the various alarms etc. which kept waking me up on the first night - I was surprised that these were not on sale on the ship, but the local pharmacy in Arles supplied one.