3. Viking Jupiter
A friend asked me to join her on a trip to Europe because her husband did not want to go. I suggested a Viking cruise because I had heard about Viking from another friend and had wanted to try one. I wanted Viking because of its educational experiences. We chose this particular cruise to get a good flavor of several countries in a short time since she may not get another chance to visit Europe. I had studied in Nice, France in college and was eager to re-visit. We started in Barcelona and ended in Rome, taking the two-day extension. (Side note: we used Rome in Limo as our tour service since Viking did not provide excursions on the extension. We were THRILLED with Rome in Limo!). We took advantage of the included tour of Barcelona so we got an overview in order to decide if we wanted to explore more. We were fairly tired from the long flight over so we explored the ship and spa that first evening (I loved the snow grotto!). Our cabin was on the Deck 4 port side. Honestly for this cruise, getting the port side is not critical. Only Monte Carlo had a scenic view at the harbor. The other ports were...well, ports. Very industrial. So no worries if you are starboard. Embarkation and disembarkation could not have gone more smoothly, and all our transfers were wonderfully handled. We were particularly appreciative of that being two women travelling on our own. It was nice not to have to manage logistics. The ship was spacious with plenty of fun places to relax or engage with others. We loved hanging out at the bar in the evenings, talking to our bartenders and meeting other travelers to share our experiences. The entertainment was tasteful and geared to an older adult audience which comprised most of the ships' passengers. I loved the observatory! It had great shows as well as informative lectures. I did not see any children on our cruise but a few passengers perhaps college-aged travelling with family and there were a few young couples travelling without their children for anniversaries, etc., but most of the passengers were over 50. The excursions were wonderful. We sometimes used the included excursion which usually comprised a bus tour overview of the city with a few stops to see sites and included a local, knowledgeable guide. In Marseilles we had booked our own private tour but used Viking's excursions for the others. Because we were next-to-last in booking priority based on our cabin category, we were worried about getting the excursions we wanted but we did not have any problem (although we did book the very first day we were able to!). We changed our mind on one excursion half way through the trip and made a change which was not our first choice but that was understandable. Our favorite excursion was A Day in Tuscany. The bus ride out was informative and scenic, our guide giving entertaining stories and information about the history, geography, farming, art and sites. We toured San Gimingnano, an ancient walled city and had plenty of time to explore it on our own and shop after the guide showed us the highlights and explained the meaning behind the towers and layout of the town. Then we went to a farm for a lunch. Most of the food was raised and prepared at the farm--charcuterie, cheeses, olives and yes, WINE! It was lovely and we sat at large, family-style tables so we had great conversation with fellow passengers. The proprietor gave us a tour of his winery. We found the descriptions of the excursions accurate but we did overhear a few passengers complaining about the exertion level being too much walking for them. I found their descriptions spot on, so pay attention if you don't like walking a lot. I have booked another Viking cruise (a river cruise) with my husband and we are looking forward to it. I highly recommend Viking. It is first class and a great value for the money.

Everything I hoped it would be

Viking Jupiter Cruise Review by Vicky D

Vicky D’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Jupiter price drops

We loved our cabin. We thought we would use the verandah more often , but our cruise was in March and some nights it was VERY windy. But we loved being able to sit out there in the morning with our coffee. We ordered room service for breakfast whenever we had an early excursion. Loved that! We had plenty of closet space and drawers. My roommate had trouble with her curling iron not working even though it had dual voltage. She ended up going to the hair salon and I think they let her plug hers in there. The shower was very nice with good water flow and heat.

• Barcelona
    We did the included tour which was a bus tour that stopped at the Cathedral and other sites and gave us a little walking/shopping time. Informative and just the right thing for our first day.
    View All 2,229 Barcelona Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Barcelona Cruise Port Review
  • Tuscany Walking Tour
    A Day in Tuscany was our favorite excursion because it was beautiful, informative, and delicious. It also gave us some contact with a local farmer and his farm. We toured San Gimingnano which was also wonderful--old and charming.
    View All 12 Tuscany Walking Tour Reviews
  • Marseille Tour
    We had a private tour set up through an artist I know in France. Our guide is also an artist and gave us a wonderful artist's view of Marseilles and he greatly loves his city.
    View All 67 Marseille Tour Reviews
  • Nice Walking Tour
    We did Nice on your Own. The guide was a Nice resident and gave us a lot of good information as we drove to Nice. The bus also stopped at a great place for a picture overlooking Nice. We were given a map, some suggestions for shopping and a meeting place and time. This was a partial day tour so we had some time to walk around Monte Carlo upon return.
    View All 11 Nice Walking Tour Reviews
  • Carcassonne Walking Tour
    Our guide was a history graduate and had a lot of great information and was passionate about Carcassonne and the whole area. It is a bit of a ride out there but the guide spoke just the right amount to keep us engaged but not wear us out.
    View All 4 Carcassonne Walking Tour Reviews