3. Viking Mimir
This was my first river cruise, and I cannot wait to go on another trip. There were a wide variety of excursions on offer - including art, history (both medieval and modern), engineering, farming, food, music, etc. - it was an excellent introduction to the area. The optional extension in Amsterdam before the cruise was a definite plus - we got to explore the city in greater detail and it allowed us to take the excursions farther afield while the ship was docked in Amsterdam. Viking was terrific about coordinating our transits to and from the airport, and making sure that our needs while in town were met (all this before we experienced their hospitality onboard). On the ship, the Viking crew was exceedingly attentive and the facilities were excellent. It seemed as though everything I could have thought about wanting was already ready and waiting. I was amazed at how quickly the crew grew to know my preferences and anticipate them. The cabins larger than I had anticipated, and well appointed. The public areas of the ship were open and inviting. I had not anticipated the amount of mingling that would take place (having only done bus tours before) while the ship was in transit, it definitely enriched the experience. The food onboard was top notch as well; I appreciated how each meal endeavored to present local favorites while also providing variety and new takes on dishes (it was the just the right blend of traditional and innovative). Looking back, I regret not eating in more local establishments while docked, but the cuisine offered by Viking seemed too good to pass up. The logistics of the trip were handled expertly as well. Whether it was the transit from the airport, the embarkation, or the organization of the shore excursions, I was impressed with how smoothly and effortlessly (at least from the passengers' perspective) everything went. All in all, it was a superb trip. I would recommend it to anyone. PS - when in Amsterdam, be sure to check out the Dutch Resistance Museum in the Plantage district - it is a thoughtful look at the complexities of civilian life during the Nazi occupation. The museum doesn't seem to get the recognition it deserves, as it is overshadowed by the larger (and justly renowned) establishments in the Museum Quarter.

Tulips and Windmills

Viking Mimir Cruise Review by KWalters

• Sail Date: March 2019
  • Destination: Europe
  • Cabin Type: French Balcony
This was my first river cruise, and I cannot wait to go on another trip.

All in all, it was a superb trip. I would recommend it to anyone.

KWalters’s Full Rating Summary