3. Viking Orion
Pre-cruise days in Vancouver not strictly worth it, because you see a lot of totem poles and nature you'll see in Alaska, but it's a beautiful city so there are no regrets. The vaunted Viking pre-boarding experience was a disaster, with no one to meet us at the airport or the embarcadero, leaving my wife and I to escort a confused and infirm elderly couple in the same predicament to the boarding area. Apologies were delivered, but I never got the impression anyone appreciated the magnitude of this failure and it remains a smudge on the experience. Onboard, everything was wonderful. I wondered how flexible the dining options would be on a "fancy" cruise compared to the 4-day Carnival cruises we sometimes take to Baja, but there was nothing to worry about there. Something was always available when needed, and everything from room service breakfast to late night snacks were well prepared, fresh, and plentiful. We did scheduled dining a couple of nights and buffet most others, and never had trouble finding space for up to six. Shore excursions were a mixed bag. Availability for booking the official excursions was incredibly poor, and I didn't feel like they were a better value or experience than simply booking yourself. The evening port talks were great, and it's very nice they're recorded. I feel like the excursion problem, along with the problem with embarkation, are growing pains from being a relatively new route and I think they'll improve quickly. As of now, excursions were the other low point of an otherwise wonderful cruise. Being on a beautifully decorated ship with many comfortable gathering areas, all generally older adults, and only one loudspeaker announcement per day was a great way to spend 10 days. Afternoon tea quickly became a must, and evenings in the observation lounge or spotting sealife from the railings were perfect. The cabin was also very comfortable and well sized, and the crew was outstanding without exception.

Amazing experience despite hiccups

Viking Orion Cruise Review by itsmarty

• Sail Date: June 2019
  • Destination: Alaska

itsmarty’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Orion price drops

Large, comfortable, well appointed. Heated floor never worked