• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Sapphire Princess Review

Editor Rating
6 Awards

Quality - but at a price

Review for Sapphire Princess to the Mediterranean
Richard English
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Aug 2019
Cabin: Balcony

Princess Cruises is an American company and so I blame myself in part for not spotting the warning signs, even though I have visited the USA many times. Unlike the UK, where the price you see is the price you pay, every purchase made in the USA will cost far more than its advertised price with all kinds of extras added - most significantly, tips. Which is why my extras bill following my 14-night cruise was approaching $2000, of which a significant proportion was "gratuities"

On board the Sapphire Princess there are many examples of US influence, of which more later - but the first clue was when, as we stepped off the gangplank and entered the ship, we were approached by smiling Princess staff (as happens of other ships, of course) by the difference was that these staff were not there to guide us to our stateroom or even to point out the location of the lifts - that we had to sort out for ourselves. No, these staff were there to sell us extras - in this case drinks packages. By purchasing such a package we would be able to reduce the price of a bottle of wine to as "little" as $31 a bottle. And this selling of overpriced extras continued throughout the cruise. Of course, one can refuse them and that was the option I normally took. My partner also elected not to take any of the personal care extras such as the spa which, she assured me, was about three times UK prices (and doubtless would have required the payment of a gratuity).

I have become used to the fact that drinks on ships are not cheap these days (when I started cruising they were UK prices or less) but the drinks prices on Princess were obscene. The glass of wine that would have cost Princess less than a dollar at wholesale duty-free prices was on offer to customers for $10 or more. And that's not all - every drink served attracted a non-optional "gratuity" of $14.50. So the bottle of beer that would have cost no more than $4 in a UK pub cost over $21 - of which probably $20 was clear profit to Princess. This rampant profiteering was actually counter-productive since those at my dinner table (and the other tables I could see) simply refrained from buying drinks and drank the free water supplied. Normally I would have at least one drink with dinner, as would have my companion. Had the drinks been half the price and the gratuity absent, Princess would still have made plenty of money on our dinner drinks; as it is they made next to nothing.

Balcony

Cabin BC

Roomy and comfortable enough although see my remarks about the electrical sockets

Port Reviews

Barcelona

Nothing to say - we just walked and enjoyed ourselves.

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Sorry. Rome was not for me. The roads and pavements are awful to walk on and the crowds of tourists waiting to through their coins into the Trevbi fountain are more than a joke. If I ever go again then I'll make sure I wear a pair of trainers to try to help to negotiate the slippery cobbles.

Sardinia

We just walked and swam in the sea.

Find a Sapphire Princess Cruise from $134