Viking Orion Cruise Review

Southeast Asia

Viking Orion Cruise Review by gamble2019

• Sail Date: Mar 2019
  • Destination: Asia

I had been to Thailand before and really enjoyed the trip. This cruise brought me into contact with several other countries of interest to me. We took the pre cruise in Bali, the hotel was fabulous and the tours very interesting. Since I am not familiar with Hindu and Buddhist religions I was interested in learning more.

Although the trip was outstanding my one complaint is that the 'free' excursions were mostly city bus tours. The more interesting tours had to be paid for. One of the iconic places in Bangkok to see is the Grand Palace, the excursión did not go there. I was disappointed.

I like the Viking cruise because it was not a party boat. I am not a joiner, not fond of the pool or dancing but love to travel comfortably. This fit me well. It is a smaller ship which I really appreciate having been on a couple several thousand passenger cruises during spring break, never again.

gamble2019's Full Rating Summary

Cabin lovely, decent storage room, beds quite comfortable, terrific cabin steward, bathroom huge for a cruise ship. Love having a balcony. Used room service for breakfast most days which I love.

Bus trip into mountains of Bali to view several beautiful Hindu temples.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Jakarta

We took the included tour of Jakarta's highlights. It was great. We had a lovely presentation at City Hall with Javanese dancers and entertainment. We were presented with scarves (ladies) and hats (men). Visiting the large mosque and the gothic cathedral standing almost next to each other was amazing.

Private Tour

Went to botanic gardens, the skywalk, Raffles hotel, and lunch at a local food court.

View All 9 Private Tour Reviews
Batu Caves

Stunning statue, 140 feet tall painted gold. Many colorful painted steps to caves. Obvious tourist place but fun. Monkeys pretty aggressive.

View All 20 Batu Caves Reviews
Ayuddhaya Walking Tour

Unfortunately cruise chips have to dock far from Bangkok, so a long journey to Bangkok and beyond. Site itself very interesting, many temples and statues to see. Also stopped to see Bang Pa-in Palace, lovely grounds and variety of architecture.

View All 14 Ayuddhaya Walking Tour Reviews
City Tour

The included tour took us around the city. We did stop at a flower market which was vibrantly alive with beautiful flowers.Lunch was a buffet that was quite tasty.

View All 46 City Tour Reviews
Highlights of Silhanoukville

Went to an interesting temple, then to a fishing village that was very interesting seeing the catch, women drying fish, and men preparing their catch for market. The beach is beautiful, white sand, warm water. At this time Cambodia is rebuilding.

View All 20 Highlights of Silhanoukville Reviews
City Tour

Interesting to see the French influence on architecture.

View All 104 City Tour Reviews
Vungtau Walking Tour

Nice drive through city and countryside. Only complaint, not enough time to get up to the statue, on;ly the most hardy had time to make it. Walking to the Niet Ban Xa Pagoda was very quaint walking up a narrow village street, a great picture. The reclining Buddha was impressive in size. Lunch was incredible, alot of interesting local food. The Worldwide Arms Museum did not hold my interest.

View All 8 Vungtau Walking Tour Reviews
Halong Bay

A lovely sail in the bay on a tourist junk . Unfortunately the days were cloudy so did not see the turquoise waters but limestone islands were fascinating.

View All 65 Halong Bay Reviews
City Tour

Gray day so no view from Victoria Peak but tram ride up fun. Also really enjoyed Stanley Market. That side of the Peak seems much more laid back. Short jaunt through floating village, many poeple moving away from living on junks there.

View All 45 City Tour Reviews