Grand Princess Cruise Review

Grand Princess Cruise Review by brandiraquelclark

• Sail Date: Aug 2019
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

A cruise to Alaska was my dream trip! Even though the cruise ship was not over the top and you can tell it has some wear and tear, the destination was SPECTACULAR!

DINING -- Roger Mora in anytime dining is the BEST waiter ever! You can take 2 bottles of wine per person and some water on board -- do it! It will save you lots of $$$$! Just uncork the wine before you go to dinner and you won't have to pay the corkage fee. :) The martini bar staff are hysterical!

SHOPPING -- Don't get roped into the jewelry sales, these "used care salesman" are too much! Save your money! Make sure you load the app right away. There are specials that you can use the first day that no one tells you about, but they are on the app. Go to the shopping meeting in the theater to get special coupons and city maps. Don't forget to take your coupons with you to town!

ONBOARD APP/INTERNET -- You can also use it to text each other on the ship for free. This was very helpful in keeping track of our group. The internet package is expensive and not really worth it. Unless you are a social media hound, don't bother paying the extra. I was so buy having fun, I didn't really use it. Plus, you can only use it on the ship. When you are in town, it doesn't work. I could have bought a roaming plan from AT&T for $80 less.

ENTERTAINMENT -- Make sure you go see the comedians and shows, we were not disappointed! a nice surprise was the Escape Room -- it was a lot of fun -- even solving it with strangers! Be sure to watch the Wake Show - it has important info!

PICTURES -- The easy disembark ramp usually has the picture opportunity, go early for the formal night (the photographers take breaks right at the busy time), do lots of poses and have fun! We took stick on mustaches for our formal night and that was the best one of them all! Beware of the picture package prices -- they are EXPENSIVE!

brandiraquelclark's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BA C501

Cabin could hold 4 people and there were only 3 of us. But the 3rd and 4th people would be in fold down bunks. These are only accessible if the steward puts them down for you. So, no napping for you in the middle of the day! Plus, climbing up and down the ladder to pee at night was a nightmare. I ended up putting the mattress on the floor. Also, only 2 deck chairs without the possibility of getting more. Be sure to bring a surge protector for multiple plugs -- you will need it with only two plugs in the entire room! Beware of the heavy slamming cabin door. (PS -- the walls are metal -- take magnets and magnet hooks to hang stuff on the walls for easy access!) Room service was GREAT!!!!

Was approached in port and ended up being talked into a bus tour with the promise of seeing bears. It included seeing the city, wild life, a waterfall, and totem poles. Never saw a bear and wasted our time that I would have rather have spent watching the lumberjack show.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Juneau

The glacier was fantastic and the trip ended at Tracy's Crab Shack which was DELICIOUS!

Juneau

Beautiful! Definitely go to the top -- I did it at the end of the day and the sunset was amazing!

Skagway

Bus broke down on the way back, but the driver made the best of it. He got me back in time to make it to my second excursion!

Skagway

AMAZING! The guides were great! I wish that I had known that I could do the dog sledding at the same place!

Whale Watching

Got to see a family of Orcas. I wish we could have gotten closer and seen more of them. It was a lot of time on the boat to see very little. It didn't leave any time to see the town. And the water and snacks on board were way over priced.

View All 53 Whale Watching Reviews