3. Viking Orion
I chose this cruise because my husband and I wanted to see Alaska--but not on a huge ship. The Orion was perfect with passengers numbering about 950. The ship was beautiful and our deluxe veranda cabin was great. The ship had everything a person could ask for. The dining options provided ambience, amazing choices, and delicious food. There was plenty to do onboard--special presentations, cocktail lounges with musical entertainment, dancing, and shows with terrific talent. There was a pool and games on deck and in the lounges. My husband also used the fitness center which was very important to him since he interrupted a physical therapy regimen to go on the trip. Finally, the staff was above compare. The included excursions were fine but carefully chosen extra excursions really added to the trip. We chose the helicopter/dog mushing in Seward (expensive but worth the splurge), glacier sightseeing by boat, Skagway by Streetcar, the railroad ride to White Pass, and whale watching. One suggsestion for couples traveling together. Book the same category room. My husband and I booked the deluxe veranda but my cousin and her husband, with whom we were traveling, booked one level up--the deluxe veranda with more square footage. We did not know that they would be able to book restaurants and excursions 10 days before we could. We had planned our choices ahead of time, but most of what we had chosen was not available to us 10 days after they booked. However, we enjoyed this trip so much that we booked a river cruise (our second cruise) with Viking for next year.

A First and Best Cruise

Viking Orion Cruise Review by Lora C

• Sail Date: June 2019
  • Destination: Alaska

Lora C’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Orion price drops

Cabin 633/?
Excellent. Great room, lovely, veranda, great linens and toilestries.