3. Celebrity Eclipse
The first part of the critique here is about the Celebrity experience… This was our first time sailing with Celebrity. Overall it was excellent across the board, with a couple of notable exceptions. We were traveling with another couple who have previously sailed several times on Celebrity and persuaded us to join them on this trip. POSITIVES: BY FAR, the biggest Celebrity Eclipse stand out experience for us, was the restaurant LUMINAE which is exclusive to suite guests. It is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The staff, service, and cuisine were virtually flawless the entire week. Meal after meal exceeded some of the more exceptional restaurant experiences we’ve had anywhere in the world. Personally, (and if you possibly can swing it and/or are considering a suite), LUMINAE alone would be worth the upgrade. Some of the other suite perks are worthwhile as well, the suite package included their “1-2-3” with fast unlimited internet, package, premium beverage package and the varying credits aboard”. The rest of the suite “perks” are more limited (at least at the Sky level and this class of ship). Although the butlers do a very good job, I believe they have too many guests to attend to at times, which is not their fault. The housekeeping staff were just great as well. Zero complaints. The ships interior (and this is pre-remodel coming in 2020/2021) are very very nice. The open atrium effect , the “Solarium” indoor adult pool area, spa, restaurants, etc etc. were all just fantastic. ______________ Daisy our butler was first rate all the way. Even when a couple of minor issues occurred she was able to more than compensate and/or resolve. We loved her and her smiling face every day. She's a very hard worker with great attention to detail and your customers' satisfaction. We were very very happy with her. Juan Pablo and Jose our servers every day at Luminae did a non-stop outstanding job. Quickly learned our likes, dislikes and accommodated us at every single opportunity. Smiles and friendliness as well as great attention to detail and professionalism were ever present. On one occasion that my husband left dinner to return to the suite not feeling well, Hugo quickly asked me how he could assist. He sent ginger ale, a bread basket and chicken soup to the room within minutes. Another outstanding interaction. Absolutely loved getting to chat with Bianca at Luminae. She is just awesome!!! _______________ The "suite" experience really made the trip for us. The benefits were well worth it to us. I've already recommended two friends to the Celebrity line and that they at least get a Sky Suite to enjoy the perks. On the negative side, I wanted to make a point of relaying that almost every interaction we had with staff members at Cafe al Bacio was bad! Between us and the other couple we were traveling with (also in a Sky Suite) we stopped by Cafe al Bacio every day. It wasn't just one or two people. It was daily, and not limited to anyone person, different people. I couldn't give you one good recommendation or come up with a name of one person there that even smiled or who wasn't looking and acting like they couldn't give a damn. Sometimes we were kept waiting while two or three were congregated chatting with one customer or each other. Attitude. Attitude. Attitude. And weren't going for complicated coffee drinks. It was for a couple of sweets, some tea, a coffee to go, etc. It was very unfortunate. Not even the Suite room card changed there attitude. I'm only speaking for the four of us in our traveling group. We talked about it daily, and tried each time we went back to smile ourselves and temper our requests. The Sunset Bar bartenders were also all and always unfriendly. No interaction or personality or smiles. In contrast all of the bartenders at Ocean, Mast and the other bars were great. The only other comment (negative) is about the room service. Which, food wise, was very unfortunate. The so-called extended menu I assume for suite guests, as you know, is only a few extra items. The one night we stayed in the suite and ordered from that portion of the menu, we got a filet (passable) and a ribeye (AWFUL), crab cakes. Gross. I'm sure we were spoiled with the great food at Luminae, but ... My suggestion would be to have a REAL expanded menu for suite guests that was actually above par. I'm sure the intent is to get guests to the restaurants for the best experience, but occasionally dining is preferred, and it shouldn't be such a sad experience.

Sky Suite on Celebrity Eclipse for 7 day Alaska cruise = A Fantastic experience!

Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by joshsea

• Sail Date: August 2019
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Sky Suite
The first part of the critique here is about the Celebrity experience…

POSITIVES:

The housekeeping staff were just great as well. Zero complaints.

______________

Absolutely loved getting to chat with Bianca at Luminae. She is just awesome!!!

_______________

joshsea’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Eclipse price drops

Sky Suite
Cabin S2 2118
Overall the Sky Suite felt bigger than expected from photos. The upgrades coming to the ship in the next year or so will "freshen" the interior of the cabin for sure. The bathroom was a bit small, but worked fine for us. Plenty of storage with 2 closets, cabinets and room for the suitcases under the bed.

I see the point some have made on the over overhang from your balcony on deck 12. it closes things in a bit for sure. Being on deck 12 however was great! Easy access to the pool, spa, Mast Grill and Bar, etc.

The cabin was extremely clean every day!

Resort Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Dog Sledding
    WONDERFUL Experience and highlight of our trip overall. Helicopters take 5 passengers at a time to the Glacier. Super impressive husky camp, trainers, guides etc. From start to finish this was a great bucket list adventure well worth the $.
    View All 147 Dog Sledding Reviews
  • Ketchikan
    Everything in this cute little town seems to have been taken over by non local companies peddling very expensive souvenirs, crab meals, and lots of diamond/jewelry stores.

We hired a mini van taxi and went to the Totem Bight State Historical Site on our own, which was very cool. Took about an hour r/t with a decent amount of walking around time there. Cost was $70 to the driver.

Then we ate a very expensive crab lunch overlooking the water where I was told pretty much all crab is frozen on the boat or soon after. So, my fantasy of eating fresh Alaskan King Crab in Alaska was shattered. lol
    View All 1,784 Ketchikan Cruise Port Reviews