3. Viking Orion
I have wanted to see Alaska and the Inland Passage for years, but not via a floating hotel with 4,000+ strangers. When we learned Viking was going to have ships with a capacity of just under 1,000, I said "Sign me up!" Any smaller ship would have been prohibitively expensive and not of the quality of Viking. Although Viking was still feeling its way into this new venue - 2019 was its first Alaskan cruises - its service was excellent. Food quality and variety were up to the standards to which we had been exposed on our Rhine River cruise. Staff is friendly. Daily activities abound for both aboard and on shore. The variety of on shore excursions was very good, although a couple we had wanted to do were sold out on the first day (!). Nonetheless, we still had a grand time. Some other pluses for adult travelers are no mobs of kids and comfortable staterooms. And, there are no inside rooms, so every room has a view to the outside world. On board laundry (free) means you don't have to overpack. Aside from the wide selection of food, there is also a variety of eating venues, all of which we found quite pleasant. Daily evening entertainment was provided...if you were able to stay up after a long day's worth of activity. Our cruise was from Vancouver, B.C. to Seward/Anchorage, AK. We opted to spend a couple of days extra at each end of the trip to explore. And I highly recommend doing so. Both areas have many sights to see and are friendly. This was one trip that neither Chris nor I wanted to return home from. She and I both wanted to stay! Next time we will arrange to see Denali also.

Chris and I Both Want to Do It Again!

Viking Orion Cruise Review by th3bauer

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: Alaska

th3bauer’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Orion price drops

Cabin Deck 4 Stbd
Ample room for stashing one's stuff. Nice bathroom and shower (heated floors!). Plenty of hot water for showers. Comfortable bed. Good cooling/heating system. Housekeeping does a fantastic job.