3. Viking Eir
I’ve wanted to see the castles in Germany for most of my adult life. This was the perfect way to get in many of them. The cruise started in Amsterdam and finished in Basel Switzerland. We got in a day early to spend time in Amsterdam and visit the awesome museums. On the cruise we visited a Dutch farm and learned how they made cheese and of course saw the windmills! Cologne was beautiful, and we had a lot of fun learning about the local brews. Marksburg Castle was one of my favorites. SO old, and in such good shape! Then it was nice to just sit and hear about the castles as we cruised down to Heidelberg, which was another history lesson, but much more damaged. My favorite was Strasbourg. The history, the food! The wine! The Black Forest was lovely. I wish it had been less crowded in the shops there. The crowds came and went as other groups joined or left the area. Hubby and I had a French Balcony on the Third level. We are getting this level again for our next Viking cruise in April 2020. We liked being on the same level as the piano bar and open air seating. Even though I thought the room size was fine for a cruise, we really were only in there to sleep and cleanup. The bathroom is really nice with heated floors. Lovely supplies! For next April, I will take more advantage of the books they suggest to learn about the stops before I go, but I just retired and have more time now. I have to mention the staff. They could not do enough to make everyone on board happy. I’ve never seen such service. There is only one person on the piano except when they bring in local entertainment. But ours was great, he tried his best to keep a variety of people happy. The bar staff were inventive and attentive. There were various activities and through them we met some great people. We often ate off the boat, but when we ate on the boat, it was enjoyable and cooked to our requests. The silver wine package was well worth the price!

Wonderful staff and cruise

Viking Eir Cruise Review by nurseshark71

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: French Balcony Superior

Cologne was beautiful, and we had a lot of fun learning about the local brews.

Marksburg Castle was one of my favorites. SO old, and in such good shape!

My favorite was Strasbourg. The history, the food! The wine!

The silver wine package was well worth the price!
nurseshark71’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Eir price drops

French Balcony Superior
Cabin C 336
Clean, TV issues at first, but quickly resolved. I really only wanted it to check the daily itinerary most of the time. A little snug, but we had no issues. The floor to ceiling “window” was great while getting ready.
Upper Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins