Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review
2,145 Reviews

Fantastic Baltic itinerary and great solo get togethers

Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by Mally900

• Sail Date: Aug 2019
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony

When I saw the itinerary for this cruise I had to book immediately: Stockholm, St. Petersburg (2 nights), Tallinn, Klaipeda, Gdynia, Riga, Oslo, Copenhagen, Brussels, Le Havre, Amsterdam, Helsinki, Southampton. The itinerary did not disappoint although a couple of NCL's excursions did, particularly the one in Tallinn. I had been on the Spirit before so I knew that the ship is older and some things need updating (It's going into dry dock for a major refurbishment in Feb. 2020.) However, I like this ship because it's small and easy to get around. I especially like the observation deck on 12. My balcony cabin was very nice and comfortable.

This was my first cruise as a solo traveller and I must say I was initially apprehensive about what the experience would be like. There was no need to worry though. NCL hosts regular solo get- togethers and dinners. The other solo cruisers were delightful and I'm grateful to NCL for providing the opportunity to meet them. NCL's solos representative did a terrific job in making everyone feel welcome. (The complementary champagne and wine was very much appreciated also.)

Now to discuss some of the things that could have been improved. First of all, the main dining room, Windows, has very slow service and the food quality uneven. Some of the entertainment (a female singer, a juggler, magician and acrobats) was not to my liking but that is mostly personal preference, of course. In the 15 days, I went to only 4 or 5 shows because many of the acts just didn't appeal to me.

The negatives were not so great as to seriously impact my overall enjoyment of this cruise. I definitely plan on cruising with NCL again.

Mally900's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA 10136

Good size, nice balcony, safe, mini fridge, coffee/tea maker in room. No complaints other than as a solo I had to pay double for the room.

City Tour

Ok nothing special.

View All 193 City Tour Reviews

Horrible - 3 hour roundtrip bus ride to a castle that was basically an amusement park for kids. NCL's description of the excursion was totally misleading.

Oslo

Two interesting museums - Kontiki and Viking museums

Canal Tour

Very nice 1 hour long tour.

View All 311 Canal Tour Reviews
The Hermitage Tour

Very small museum, nothing like Hermitage in St. Petersburg

View All 9 The Hermitage Tour Reviews

Rouen - long bus ride, not much there except cathedral and place Joan of Arc was burned at stake.

View All undefined undefined Reviews

Sites pointed out from bus.

Mally900