• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Norwegian Spirit Review

Editor Rating
2031 reviews
38 Awards

Fantastic Baltic itinerary and great solo get togethers

Review for Norwegian Spirit to the Baltic Sea
Mally900
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Aug 2019
Cabin: Mid-Ship Balcony

When I saw the itinerary for this cruise I had to book immediately: Stockholm, St. Petersburg (2 nights), Tallinn, Klaipeda, Gdynia, Riga, Oslo, Copenhagen, Brussels, Le Havre, Amsterdam, Helsinki, Southampton. The itinerary did not disappoint although a couple of NCL's excursions did, particularly the one in Tallinn. I had been on the Spirit before so I knew that the ship is older and some things need updating (It's going into dry dock for a major refurbishment in Feb. 2020.) However, I like this ship because it's small and easy to get around. I especially like the observation deck on 12. My balcony cabin was very nice and comfortable.

This was my first cruise as a solo traveller and I must say I was initially apprehensive about what the experience would be like. There was no need to worry though. NCL hosts regular solo get- togethers and dinners. The other solo cruisers were delightful and I'm grateful to NCL for providing the opportunity to meet them. NCL's solos representative did a terrific job in making everyone feel welcome. (The complementary champagne and wine was very much appreciated also.)

Now to discuss some of the things that could have been improved. First of all, the main dining room, Windows, has very slow service and the food quality uneven. Some of the entertainment (a female singer, a juggler, magician and acrobats) was not to my liking but that is mostly personal preference, of course. In the 15 days, I went to only 4 or 5 shows because many of the acts just didn't appeal to me.

Mid-Ship Balcony

Cabin BA

Good size, nice balcony, safe, mini fridge, coffee/tea maker in room. No complaints other than as a solo I had to pay double for the room.

Port Reviews

Walking tour

Oslo

Two interesting museums - Kontiki and Viking museums

Copenhagen

Didn't take an excursion.

Brugge (Bruges)

Tour of Ghent. Unbelievably beautiful city.

previous reviewnext review