3. Celebrity Equinox
We cruised on the Celebrity Equinox on 8/24/19 thru 8/31/19 to the western Caribbean. General Our preference for cruising is Royal Caribbean but since Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean and if you are Diamond member or higher on RC then you cruise on Celebrity at an Elite level. We were able to board the ship about 10:45 AM without any problem. The procedure at Celebrity now is that you can leave you carry on bags in your room and go to lunch even though you room will not be available until 1 PM. So we dropped our bags off and were going to put our valuables in the safe however when we went to use the safe it was not anchored to the cabinet so someone could walk off with the whole safe. I called guest services and they sent some one later in the day to anchor it down. The safe is quite big so you can get a lot in it. Upon coming back to the room I turned on the TV and saw that the channel I wanted to watch was providing the picture and sound in 10 second segments. I called guest services again and they fixed the problem. We had intended to attend the Captain’s Club Welcome Celebration but it was scheduled at 5:30 PM so since our supper was at 5:45 PM we were not able to go to that.Upon returning to the room we went to use the toilet and it would not flush so I called Guest Services and they did something with the system which got it to flush again. Only been on the ship 18 hours and had 3 calls to Guest Service to have problems fixed. Other than the problems we encountered the room was fine, a balcony room on deck 7. Having been on this ship several times before I can tell you that I would not recommend a balcony room on deck 6 as many of them are immediately above the life boats and it obstructs your view. Get a balcony room on deck 7 and above. If you want to be close to the food where you will probably go 3 times a day, I recommend a room near the rear elevators as the food is in the back of the ship. The other reason I recommend a room near the rear/midship elevators is that the gangway is located off that set of elevators so it you have a room in the front of the ship there is a lot more walking. The first couple of days on the ship they really push the Specialty Restaurants and the drink packages. Unless you are a big drinker we found that none of the drink packages are a good deal but each person needs to make their own decision. We paid for the internet but the first couple of days the signal was not good in our room so my wife went to the iLounge and talked to the representative and they sent a person to test the signal. He found that if you left the door to your room open the signal was better, obviously not a solution so he went back and talked to his supervisor as to how they were going to solve the problem. It appears that they put some sort of a booster in our room which improved the signal. Our room Stewart told us they had new mattresses on our bed and they were fairly comfortable. The pillows were great, just the way we like them. We ate most of our lunches in the Oceanview buffet and I must say that there variety is better than a lot of ships. One day they had calamari and another day they had mussels. One of the things that I do not like about this ship is they do not have any place where you can get a complimentary cup of coffee or tea after the 9 PM show. There is the Cafe Al Bacio but the coffee or tea is $5.00 per cup. As an Elite level you can go to the Captain Club events but they do not have a dedicated area or lounge for Captain Club members like Royal Caribbean has the Diamond Lounge. They do have Happy Hours in the Sky Lounge from 5 PM to 7 PM for Elite members and above where they serve free limited number of drinks. If you are an Elite level and prefer to have a drink at a bar between 5 PM and 7 PM they load 5 drinks on your sea pass card. As with everything there are trade offs and while I thought the food on Celebrity was slightly better than Royal Caribbean, the ship, while nice, I don’t think they can match the larger Royal Caribbean ships. When we got back to Ft. Lauderdale we got off at about 8:15 AM and had no problems, just walked off. Entertainment The first night we went to the show, a production show which was OK. There were 3 production shows on this cruise. The entertainment in the theater on the second night was a comedian, Daryl Joyce and he was funny. On the third night in the theater they had a Frankie Valli tribute singers, called December 63. They were excellent and got a standing ovation. Daryl Joyce, the comedian, returned that night, after December 63, for his adult comedy show and he was good. The next night in the theater they had an Illusionist, Josh Bishop who did most of his illusions on a table with a camera so you could see his hands. In the theater the next night they had a production show called Broadway Cabaret. The singers, 3 young men and 3 young women, all had nice voices and did a good job singing many hit Broadway songs.Then the next night in the theater was another comedian, Jeff Nease, who wasn’t bad. On the last night they had another production show called Life and was a good show and after the show Jeff Nease the comedian did his adult comedy show which we attended and it was OK. Ports Our first stop was Key West and we got off the ship around 10 AM. We were docked at the Naval Yards so we were bused to Mallory Square at no cost. There were two other ships docked in Key West that day so it was very busy and difficult to get a tour from that area so since we had been to Key West several times in the past 3 years we decided not to take a tour. They basically had two tours, the Hop on, Hop off tour, with 12 different stops and the cost I think was $41.95. The Couch open air tour was $27 I think. Instead we went to the Aquarium which is adjacent to Mallory Square. The senior rate admission price was $13.99 per person and we really enjoyed it, plus a good portion of it is air conditioned. They have sharks, sting rays, big turtles, and a host of all kinds of fish which we found interesting. Since we cruise all the time we did not do any excursions at any of the ports. In Costa Maya and Cozumel we got off the ship and just walked around the dock area. In Grand Cayman where you have to be tendered into the port so we did not get off the ship. Conclusion This was a nice cruise on a nice ship with reasonably good food and entertainment. While there were some things I thought could be better I would recommend this cruise if you want to do the western Caribbean.

Good cruise, still room for improvement

Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by vette1cruiser